programming question? a how-to really

I'm using Mandriva 2009 with KDE 3.5.9 and a Palm Lifedrive with wireless networking to sync to KONTACT abd KPILOT.

Due to some construction issues in the hotsync button and the USB combined with the way Linux reads the USB, I cant sync using a cradle.

So I load KPILOT and try and sync and nothing happens.

From a search elsewhere I have found that if I open a console and type "pilot-xfer -p net:any -l" <return>

It then starts listening on all ports and as soon as I hit hotsync on my lifedrive everything proceeds fine.

Questions:

1) Is there something wrong with my KPILOT install that this should be loading automatically?

2) If I load KPILOT before this conmmand there is no way to sync after that.

3) Once I DO sync this command "ends" and if I want to sync again I have to open another

konsole relaunch the command, the re launch KPILOT

SO if KPILOT is installed properly, is there some way that I can load up a shortcut or script or something that would launch THAT command: "pilot-xfer -p net:any -l" <return>

Then launch KPILOT and the once the sync is DONE relaunch that command in the background? "pilot-xfer -p net:any -l" <return>

I know that this is more of a generic linux issue than a KPILOT issue, but any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks

J

[moved from Software by Greg2]

How do you connect the device? By USB? Network?

I'm wondering because you mention that you get it to listen on all ports, so am assuming your connecting via the network. If not, and it is by USB, then I'd do this:

1. When connected, check with dmesg to see what tty serial port was assigned, normally ttyUSB0, etc, depending on what was connected at the time. I even have one device (3G modem) that has all three!

2. Once you checked this, check kpilot configuration to see what is configured here and if it's using the same tty serial port for the connection.

Based on what you wanted for a script, this would do it for you simple enough, something like:

pilot-xfer -p net:any -1
kpilot

you wouldn't need to put the line again afterwards, since when you ran the script again, it would be fine. The only reason to put the pilot-xfer line again is if you don't intend to use the script and want to run kpilot directly from the kpilot icon.

However, I think better to check kpilot as it could just be a configuration issue. Some people from posts I found just continually used pilot-xfer instead and nothing else.

Ian,

Thanks for the reply. ONce again I have chosen the exception to every rule. The Palm Lifedrive.

An AWESOME PDA to be sure, between the internal and 1 sd card I have 8GB of storage and after xmas I'm swapping the 4GB HD w/ a 4GB flash so it will FLY!

BUT because of the way the lifedrive works it gets recognized by linux as soon as its plugged in, you hit hotsync (if your connecting with USB) and it DISCONNECTS from the HW and then immediately RE connects, and then bombs out.

this is a known issue with the lifedrive and linux.

SO everyone that I can find that uses one, uses WIFI.

Mine "seems" to connect just fine, except that I have to keep running that one line BEFORE I launch KPILOT, or it doesnt connect at all.

I agree that there seems to be a KPILOT issue, but since most folks here use WM devices theres not a lot of folks who use pilots, so i tried to address it from a programming angle.

I actually posted the same thing ON the KPILOT forum, but since its been 18 months 3 weeks and 2 days since the last post there, it may be a while.

Thanks for your suggestion and you may be right. I may just write a small script file and run it all from CLI.

The wife wont be thrilled, but thats ok, as lomg as it works, thats what counts.

J