How does one view dependencies of a package?

boatman9

Using rpmdrake you just mark the packages you want to install, then it will show you all dependicies automaticaly, then you can watch them and decide if you want to install the packages anyway.

And using commandlinie you type something linke urpmi java-1.6.0-sun, then it will show you the names on the packages it has to install for denpendicies, and you have to type Y or n, to confirm or not.

Hope this will help you, if not mayby someone who writes in english natively, has a better way to explain it to you ;-)

using commandlinie you type something linke urpmi java-1.6.0-sun, then it will show you the names on the packages it has to install for denpendicies, and you have to type Y or n, to confirm or not.
Careful! If the dependencies are already installed then this urpmi command will just install the selected package without asking for confirmation! This may or may not be what you want. Use Greg2's urpmq command or look at rpm.pbone.net.

Thanks for the help. I was researching dependencies for an installed package, so I had to use Greg2's method.

This relates to Mandriva's 2009.0 repositories. I don't know about previous Mandriva repositories. Package kdemultimedia-noatun needs package arts, but arts is not listed as a dependency for kdemultimedia-noatun. The result is that when one adds kdemultimedia-noatun it won't run and gives this message "Connecting/starting aRts soundserver failed. Make sure that artsd is configured properly."

In defense of the packagers, it's very hard to package for two different KDE versions in one release. If you had installed KDE3 first with your install, you would have

[greg@halfway ~]$ urpmq --requires-recursive task-kde3 | grep -i arts
arts
libarts1
libkparts4
run-parts
[greg@halfway ~]$ urpmq --requires-recursive kdebase-3 | grep -i arts
arts
libarts1
run-parts

but, if you had installed KDE4 first with your install, you would have

[greg@halfway ~]$ urpmq --requires-recursive task-kde4 | grep -i arts
libkparts4
run-parts
[greg@halfway ~]$ urpmq --requires-recursive kdebase4 | grep -i arts
libkparts4
run-parts

do you understand the problems involved with this?