Time to tackle the iPaq...

SoulSe

So, it all started here: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=15

Today I bought an iPaq h1910, got it for a really good price. I know it is not the best model available, but it will do for me.

I am going to try and install Familiar and Opie on it, as Tyme and Phunni suggested. I'm a little concerned that I will get stuck or turn my iPAQ into a brick, but I am ready to try.

I am getting better with Linux, but my knowledge (especially that required here) is still very limited, so I'm not sure that I will get this right.

Anyway, the idea with this thread is to provide others with my experiences. If anyone has any links, advice, etc. then please feel free to post! As soon as I have some time available, I will get cracking.

EDIT: #$%! I just disovered that the 1910 isn't supported by Familiar/Opie yet!! I will have to wait... or risk screwing the thing up seriously.

Sope I didn't waste my money - it's my own fault, I should have checked first... just assumed that any iPAQ would work and got a really good deal. Win CE it is for now :evil:

Not a complete disaster - if you use evolution then the synce mulitsync plugin gives you good synchronisation.

WinCE isn't as good as Opie IMHO, but it's still quite good...

Yeah, I'll go on using Win CE until Familiar has been sorted for the 1910 (and paul's Axim).

It should be done in a couple of months. I'll setup multisync until then and wait it out :wink:

Ok, so I bought this iPAQ from a friend who no longer has the manual.

I can't get it to connect to the Internet via my cellphone, nor connect to my Linux box and it's network setup makes no sense (well, it is running a M$ product, after all).

Tried downloading the Pocket PC manual from M$ - obviously, any M$ website I try to open with Mozilla redirects to Windows Update.

This is getting frustrating. Does anyone have some links for me?

I hope Familiar support my iPAQ soon, I can't handle Win CE!!! It has all the normal, annoying bullshit as all other winblows OSes.

EDIT: Got into M$'s Pocket PC website with a few side-steps. It's not very helpfull, though.

I found out that the multisync-evolution plugin requires Evolution 1.4 (I was using 1.22) so, I am currently upgrading that.

I read on the multisync page that synce currently only syncs the contacts? In this case, I am wasting my time. I need to do calendar and to do items as well....

Besides for that, how do I copy files to the iPAQ? I guess I could install Activesync on a computer at work, but there must be some way to do this in Linux?

This is not a Linux problem, but it won't connect using my cellphone either (my Palm used to, without a problem).

I guess this thread should be moved to mobile devices?

*sigh*

I think I'll settle for using a winblows box at work with Activesync until Familiar Linux gets my iPAQ supported. I am not going to buy vmware and it'll take a lot more then this to force me to dual-boot.

At least I'm not alone :wink: What are you doing about your Axim, paul?

I have returned to opie on my ipaq - inspired by your efforts :wink:

The latest version of multisync (0.8 ) will (with the appropriate plugin) sync contact, calendar and task list - you will need to use the CVS version of synce ( synce.sourceforge.net)

There are some tools included in synce which allow you to do various things - including tranfering a file. The docs on their web site are pretty good - look for a link to tools

Hope this helps!

Edit: tools to help install software on your ipaq are also being quickly developed. If you use synce - get on the mailing lists, the people are friendly and will help you lots - but you may be asked to test a few things, if the solution to your problem has invloved them fixiing a bug. I have experienced bug fixes (or attempts) within a day or two of bringing it up on the lists

urpmi is bugging out on Evolution 1.4. the dependency list is as long as my arm, so it makes doing it manually a bitch...

Familiar Linux is coming along for the 19XX iPAQs - http://www.handhelds.org/projects/h1900.html

As soon as I have Evolution, I will install synce... I've never done anything from CVS :oops: - tuts?

CVS is very easy - just install CVS and then do a login: cvs <serverURL> login

e.g cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/synce login

and then do a checkout (CVS command co): cvs <serverURL> co modulename

e.g. cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/synce co libsynce

You can get the names of the modules on the Synce (and multisync) website - in fact any sourceforge hosted project

This command will download the source and leave you with a directory containing the source code - you are then in the same position as if you had downloaded and extracted a source tarball - except this is absolutely bleeding edge code