partition question

liquidzoo

I searched the forum, but no one has described this problem, so here goes:

A while ago, I was looking for a way to install the updates from my laptop instead of the cd's. I figured it out, so that is no longer an issue, but here's the thing: I created a new partition (/updates) to house all of the RPMs off on the 3 install cd's. When I tried copying them over to that partition, it looked as if it was taking up space on my / drive instead of the 2.5GB /updates drive. Is this due to the fact that I created the new drive after the install? I did try a reboot after this frive was created, and ended up hosing my system badly; but that's ok. I am looking to do something similar to this when 9.2 is coming out for my desktop, but I don't want all of the space on / taken up and none of the space on the other partitions used.

I guess my question is this: Was this caused by the fact that I did this after the install? Would it be better for me to do it at install time instead of afterwards? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?