hard drive rescue software???

VeeDubb

I'm not sure if this should be here, in hardware or in OT, but here it goes.

A firend of mine who is still useing Windows ME, just had his hard-drive crash, It 'apears' that the drive is still functional but badly corruppted. Of course, I could always fdisk it for him and install a real OS like mandrake (whitch I have him almost convinced of), but he REALY needs some of his personal files fromt hat drive. He of course didn't have a CD burner to backl up with, well, you get the point.

Anyway I have put that drive in my mandrake box as hdb and the comp knows it's there, but diskdrake won't recognize it. It has 2 partitions, a 20 gig and a 40 gig, both fat32. Are there any tools I could install on my mandrake box to retrieve his data?

When you say "diskdrake won't recognise it" do you mean that you can see the drive, but not the partitions? Or can you not see the drive?

Have you tried just mounting it?

# mount /hdb1 /mnt/target

I'm not sure if you will have to specify the filesystem, mount should detect FAT32. Also, it could be anything from hdb1 - hdb9 or whatever, depending. Check out your devs folder.

Yes, the jumpers are correct. For the record, I build and sell custom computers, so you can probably skip human error on my part. This is a drive that was functioning perfectly in ihis computer. And it did not fail as a result of any changes that were made manualy.

Yes, I'm sure it's hdb. I'm sure of that becuase when I put it in my box I switched the jumper from master to slave and installed it as the primary slave with my primary master still in place so that I could run mandrake and try to retrive the data. Of course, I have not been able to do that yet. In the mean time he has bought another har drive and I've convinced him to go mandrake instead of windows.

Have you formated the drive in any way since it was last crashed. Maybe you can find a way to rebuild its partition table. I'm sure theres a M$ app out there for doing that, don't know of one in linux.

Rebuilding the table shouldn't ruin the data but as with anything please don't take my word for it.

Ahh, I am a bit of a dinosaur, so forgive me if you have solved this one.

Me thinks the answer may be the master boot record (mbr) on hda says you have only one drive. Maybe if you re-run mcc for the boot loader you can overwrite your mbr with hdb get the info and then disconnect that drive and re-run the boot loader.

ps for others, set the jumper to master and connect to controller 2 will read as hdc (for ide drives)

another possibilty is to make sure harddrake SERVICE is ticked in mcc for boot start up so it will recognise any new hardware

hope that helps

As we are trying to save the data, no, it has NOT been formatted in any way since the crash.

As for the MBR, that was basicaly my first thought, so, I through in my mandrake instalation CD and tried to 'f1 -> restore windows boot loader' and it all looked like it was going to work and then it said "input output error'

I tried the program mentioned earlier for restoring the partition tables, but it gave me a similar error, I'm thinking that the controller on the drive may have gone bad.

If anyone else has another idea, I'd love to hear.