Modem Troubles!

Guest KlutZ

I can't get my modem to work. :x

56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem

It works fine in Windows, but not Mandrake. When I look at , "devmodem", I can't find my modem. In fact, "devmodem" doesn't exist. But, when I look at what's in "configurationpci", (something like that) it see's my modem, brand name/model#, and everything. I got this modem just so I could use it with Linux, and I have to say that it's quite expensive for a dial up modem.

I know that I just have to move something somewhere, or something, but, I am brand new at Linux, and it's like learning another language. I've been messing around with this for about four days now, because I like to try to figure things out on my own, but... Can anyone help me please?

<suckup> <brown nosing> :wink:

HI KlutZ. Welcome to the board!

Modem doc (PDF):

http://www.usr.com/support/5610b/5610b-fil...10b-install.pdf

According to this doc, the modem should be at /dev/ttyX, where X is some number. Now, you only have to start KPPP (I guess you are using KDE) and follow the instruction at page 6 of the PDF.

If it does not work, you can try this page:

http://www.usr.com/support/product-templat....asp?prod=5610b

There is a RPM there .. don't know if it can help ..

HTH

MOttS

Open a terminal>su to root>and post the results of;

file /dev/modem

file /dev/ttyS4

Windows puts it on com5 which is ttyS4 in linux. The driver is in the kernel, so do not install a driver and complicate things. I had this exact mdem. You should be able to point kppp to either

/dev/modem

or

/dev/ttyS4

and connect.

Thanks for responding guys. I have a hard copy of that pdf, it came in the box with my modem. In windows, at modem properties in device manager, it says the modem is at com3. IIRC, that's ttys2 in linux. Correct me if I'm wrong. When in kppp, under the device tab, I set it to ttys2, and then go and query modem, it seems to be working but, when it gets done, a screen comes up with ATI, ATI1, ATI2, and so on. All the boxes are empty. I was thinking that there probably should be something there, but theres not. When I try to connect, it acts like it's going to, but after a while it says modem not responding, or sometimes, nothing at all. It just sits there acting like it's trying to connect.

Thanks again!

Do you ever click 'Connect'.

If you click connect and get a error message, click 'Details' and post them here. It may even tell you what is wrong and fix yourself. Mine is usually wrong login etc.

You don't have to 'query' modem. Just make sure the right device is selected, /dev/ttyS4, then click 'OK' and then connect.

Should work.

:D :D :D

Well, I don't know what I did, but...

I changed some things in Mandrake Control Center and it fixed the problem.

Funny thing though. When it tried detecting my modem, it said that my modem wasn't supported. Then asked me if I wanted to connect. Clicked yes, and here I am. Thanks everyone, for your help.