So many Window Managers!

liquidzoo

Another reason I love Linux! I found this page the other day: http://www.plig.org/xwinman/ That lists a lot of WM/DE's for X. Some of them I have heard of, some I have not. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried/likes any of the lesser-known Window Managers. What are their pros? What would you like to see different? If you use something other than the common ones that are talked about here (KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, Blackbox, XFce, Enlightenment, there may be others, those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head) tell us about it! I'm really curious to see what the pros and cons of some of these lesser-known WM/DE's are.

I haven't really used anything other then the ones you mentioned, except for Enlightenment, which I found to be very confusing... it could be cool if I got used to it though. My brother likes.

I use Fluxbox with Esetroot, idesk and a few dockapps. I like it because it is very flexible, fast, minimilist and stable. I also like it's tabbing system and I think that most people who use Flux are missing it's full potential by not learning enough. There is great documentation at www.fluxbox.org - my friends went bug-eye when I showed them what could be done with the built-in tabbing system.

My second choice is Gnome, for obvious reasons. I don't like KDE too much, but that is just a personal preference thingy :wink:

I like clean and simple, so I use a stripped-down Fluxbox. No slit, no dockapps, no idesk icons, etc. Anything I need is in the menu. I tried messing around with the tabs, but nah, I'll pass.

I also use Ratpoison occasionally and really, the more I use it the more I like it. Mouseless is better, and rock-solid. But it's hard to resist the quick bug-free operation combined with clean good looks I get with Flux. I have a bunch of nice clean-looking custom themes, but I usually have Xplanet running (bare) for the background. Ok, ok, so I can't resist a touch of eye-candy...it still makes a *very* quick desktop, even on my old Athlon800...