Problem with Mandriva 2009 & GeForce 6800

T0ken

I have Mandriva installed on my laptop and I like it so much that I decided to install it on my home desktop PC.

The install goes fine and everything, but I can only use the generic vesa driver. If I try to use the NVIDIA "GeForce 6100 and later" driver," the screen goes blank and the monitor looks as if it is in standby mode.

I've searched and searched and it looks like I may be the only one having this problem, everyone else seems to be able to run a GeForce 6800 easily.

Help!

See your next topic re vmware.

Thanks!

D/l kernel-desktop586-devel-latest solved the issue I had with VMware, but the problem with my GeForce 6800 card on my desktop still remains after d/l this package :(

Sorry I was at cross purposes with the two posts. You need the devel package for the current kernel that you are running on the nvidia computer. Install the package the corresponds to the output of 'uname -r' That should fixit.

Unfortunately they're running the same kernel (2.6.27.4-desktop-2mnb). I've installed both kernel-desktop-devel-latest and kernel-desktop586-devel-latest (both say 2.6.27.4 under Version).

I'm just trying to get my head round this a bit, so when you say your screen looks like it's on standby, does it have a flashing cursor in the top left corner?

Nope! There is nothing displayed on the screen. The screen looks the same as if I'd turned the PC off, and the power button/indicator on my monitor turns orange, as if the PC is turned off. Very weird! The only way I can get around it is to restart my computer by physically holding in the power button to power it off (ctrl+alt+F1/F2 does not work in getting me to the terminal).

I think I had this issue with Ubuntu too when I tried to install it on my desktop. I'd think it was a problem specific to the GeForce 6800 if I hadn't found thread after thread of people installing not only Mandriva, but other distros as well, with no problem.

Edited by T0ken

OK try selecting your card again in mcc. It should tell you there is a propriety driver and ask you to install it. If it does so install it. Other than that I am unable to help as I don't have that particular card to try with.

Sorry that suggestion is rather stupid as you don't have the gui to use. :oops:

Edited by SilverSurfer60

OK try selecting your card again in mcc. It should tell you there is a propriety driver and ask you to install it. If it does so install it. Other than that I am unable to help as I don't have that particular card to try with.

Sorry that suggestion is rather stupid as you don't have the gui to use. :oops:

Well no, I can use the GUI if I use the vesa driver. But it's a very generic driver that does not allow me to run a 3d desktop, which I should easily be able to do with a 6800.

But yeah, I've been going to MCC and doing exactly what you say above. When I click "Test" is when it goes to the blank screen.

Frustrating! Thanks for your help & suggestions though.

I found this thread and this guy was having the exact same issue as I was, but he was using Ubuntu. He was able to get it fixed, but I don't know if anything he did is doable in Mandriva. Could anyone take a look and "translate" it for me?: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=484455

Are you running a 64bit processor?

It's a Pentium D, so I believe it's able to run 64bit.

From looking at that thread, I think I'll try adding this to my xorg.conf file:

Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"DFP"

It's a Pentium D, so I believe it's able to run 64bit.

From looking at that thread, I think I'll try adding this to my xorg.conf file:

Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"DFP"

didn't work :(

hmmmm...