Poblems Autoconfiguring Printer

Jza

I got a problem setting up my printer. I run the PrintDrake with much success the first time, it went so smooth I really have no I dea if it REALLY worked. Now I try to run PrintDrake again and it exits abnormally.

I want to know how can I set it up from the command line, or check the right log for this to know what happened.

Another thing is I want to know if I should worry about since it detect it the first time.

The printer is an HP OfficeJet v40 through USB and with Scanning and Faxing capabilities. I am running Mandrake 9.1 on a PIII 19? RAM. I already download PDD, hjis and hojs from linuxprinting.org

Any further suggesting, BTW I dunno cups and might sound very newbie but I dunno what path to put on location of the printer.

Update: I went to the Linuxconf and it couldnt detect the /usr/sbin/lpd how can I fix that? I did found it on the /var/spool/lpd but it gave me several errors about could not read some files.

Guest GorGor

While you wait for a better reply, your comments on getting new software suggest you broke the Cups connection that was probaly what you had to begin with.

Logs are good for checking whats happening, enable SYSLOG thru mcc (control centre) IF syslog was turned off turn it on and reboot then check todays log only VISIBLE from mcc under logs.

2) while in mcc, go to hardware and start printerdrake or run from terminal after prompt for root passwd. The terminal will generally only give major errors or processes started. YOu can if you are excited by too much info, run multiple terminals, in one with su root user account run TOP in lowercase. This will show you wish printer daemons are running.

3) in printerdrake, yep back to (2) select expert mode. Do you have options to change your printer system? If not, you are still using cups altho it may be broken. If you have a choice, re-select cups.

Cups often has updates at your mirror site. AND has dependencies like foomatic.

COMMENT Mdk 9.1 and presumely others really does not like other printing systems as I found out while trying LPRng.

4) Add a printer and click on apply and ok etc until it looks saved, go back to services in mcc and see if cups is running b4 try a test print. Note that MDK is normally smart and will autostart cups if not running. But I know you want to look at top (processes) so that is why I am being verbose.

See if that has got your printer working.

5) open and save a bookmark in your fav browser for

localhost:631 this will take you to http://etc for CUPS management tool.

This is in the help dox so I won't bore you any further, but if you click on the link for the name of the printer, eg MYPRINTER it will give you status info like accepting jobs and whats happening with a current job.

TOO MUCH INFO ok I shaddup

Open a browser and goto "localhost:631".

This is a network method of managing your printers. You can add, delete, or change any settitngd or drivers here. You should login as root when prompted. I have had printerdrake mess up and still able to make corrections with this gui.

I guess I never restarted, never had to, however when I did I find out that X is not working. I tried to install my printer and everything fell off. Now I cant run X I guess if I run linuxconf on text mode. I could do it.