I thought rebooting is only for Windows...

GuoJing

I have a P3 Mandrake 9.1 Linux server and a WinXP machine that connects to that one for Internet stuff. Today my ADSL connection has been up and down like a yoyo. Early in the morning, I couldn't run adsl-start at all. I rebooted and it worked. For half of the day, many websites and Internet services don't work for me. They are Australian sites like UniMelb, SMH, etc. and many international sites. Also, ICQ, Yahoo, VixMule, Netspace's personal webspace, Netscape pub FTP and email, ping, tracert etc. don't work either :-/ I can still connect to some certain sites, like OCAU, Whirlpool and a few International sites though. I have tried everything - stop and reconnect the adsl connection on the server, stop/restart/stop/... the firewall (Firestarter), rerun adsl-setup, try Optus DNS blah blah blah. Nothing worked.

When I was about to go get the sledgehammer, I thought maybe I should reboot the damn thing... Well, after a reboot, it finally worked. Everything works fine now. I thought this thing is only for Win"doze" :roll: :confused:

Could anyone explain what was wrong and how I could solve such problem without having to reboot my system and pray for it to work again ? :confused: Thanks very much in advance :)

So, just to clarify, SOME web sites/services worked and others didn't or did they ALL stop working?

You said you checked your firewall, which is a logical start... that would've been my first guess.

And then trying a different DNS lookup server would be second...hmm...

The only way I can see a reboot having helped is if you had a service running that might've stopped and then when you rebooted it started going again... but then all your sites/services would have probably gone down, which is why I ask...

So, just to clarify, SOME web sites/services worked and others didn't or did they ALL stop working?

Yeah some worked, and significantly many stopped working :P At least these are among the sites I frequently visit.

rcxau: I only used the Optus DNS to test, as they used to work for me before when the Netspace DNS server went bananas. My connection is Netspace ADSL.

service -R

localhost:/# service -help

Unknow option -help

Usage: service -[Rfshv] SERVICE ARGUMENTS

-f|--full-restart:      Do a fullrestart of the service.

-R|--full-restart-all:  Do a fullrestart of all services currently running.

-s|--status-all:        Print a status of all services.

-d|--debug:             Launch with debug.

-h|--help:              This help.

-v|--version:           Print version.

Kinda like a fast reboot but you could also try

init 1

or

telinit 1

then back

If these don't do it then the kernel is not happy about something...reboot/upgrade/and or compile the kernel.

• 2 weeks later...
service -R

localhost:/# service -help<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Unknow option -help<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Usage: service -[Rfshv] SERVICE ARGUMENTS<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->        -f|--full-restart:      Do a fullrestart of the service.<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->        -R|--full-restart-all:  Do a fullrestart of all services currently running.<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->        -s|--status-all:        Print a status of all services.<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->        -d|--debug:             Launch with debug.<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->        -h|--help:              This help.<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->        -v|--version:           Print version.

Kinda like a fast reboot but you could also try

init 1

or

telinit 1

then back

If these don't do it then the kernel is not happy about something...reboot/upgrade/and or compile the kernel.

How about less drastic approach for someone who is clearly struggling with the basics? Go to /var/log and look at your messages. YOu want to read both a file called "dmesg" and "messages".

There might be plenty of juicy information there explaining what's going on. Additionally, if you haven't upgraded your kernel, do so, but do it the easy way for now, which is go to mandrakesecure.net and download the rpm for the kernel. Install it by doing urpmi nameofkernel but BEFORE YOU DO SO make sure that you make a backup of your old /etc/lilo.conf before doing so.

To do so:

mv /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf.backup

Issue now :

urpmi nameofkernel

After you are done, make sure that you add one additonal stanza for your old kernel to your new lilo.conf that points to the old kernel, just in case. All of this is explained in greater detail at mandrakesecure.net, but my feeling is that you will not have to do any of this if you go through your logs.

And easier way to access your logs, I just happened to remember, is to go to Mandrake's control center and use the logging tool that's in there.

Good luck.