mbr error after mdk 9.1

Guest evaristo

Guest evaristo

Hi, just install mdk 9.1 download edition and got mbr error with lilo prompt lilke "LILOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" even if I choosed non mbr partition during install operations.

I use to install mdk at very end of my hd and boot linux by root partition and not from mbr.The latest is a maxtor 80 GB;

'll be this the problem? Got to use grub in stad of lilo for booting up ?

Thanks in advince for any help

Evaristo

Welcome!

I use grub (I think it's better :wink: ). Can you give us more info about your setup.....OS's/HD's/partitions/file system types etc....

I use to install mdk at very end of my hd and boot linux by root partition and not from mbr.
How? another bootloader/OS? which one? Are you using it now?

Guest evaristo
I use to install mdk at very end of my hd and boot linux by root partition and not from mbr.
How? another bootloader/OS? which one? Are you using it now?

Hi bvc,

I'm using winxpsp1 boot loader also for Mdk. With a little utility called "bootpart" I create an 512 kb image and a new entry inside boot.ini.

My system:

gigabyte 7vaxp

burton 3 gb

ati 9500 pro

512 cas 2 corsair ddr 400

maxtor 80 gb

My patitions:

C:=bootpart 4GB fat32 primary

D:=win98se 13GB fat32

E:=docanddownload 25 fat32

F:=winxpsp1 18GB ntfs

for linux

/dev/hda8 gentoo 8,5gb ext3

/dev/hda9 swap 1,5 gb

/dev/hda10 mdk9.1 10gb ext3

Thanks for your time.

Evaristo

:? unfortunately I d/k anything about your prob, other than XP+lilo can cause probs more than XP+grub. I use to use BootMagic from Partition Magic on Win98 and chainload to grub on /, because lilo was always failing from /. In lilo's defense, it's because it's not necessary, nor was lilo made to be run this way. Its best in the mbr but not for XP, and grub is better yet :wink: , IMO. If you need/want to keep the way you boot, I'd suggest grub, but maybe someone else has experience with your bootloader and setup. Sorry I can't be of more help :)

Umm...

I have always used lilo, with 98, me, xp, and 1 or 2 linux os's. I had a boot problem once, but reinstalling lilo with the first cd fixed the mbr! :roll:

I had the same/similiar problem when i installed MDK 9.1 the first time. Even if you choose Lilo or Grub not to write to the mbr, it is already written, but not correctly. - if you are using the winxp bootloader at this moment. It's a mdk installer issue.

You have 2 choices:

using the winxp bootloader? ok, boot with your winxp install cd, go to the rescue (?) console, then write

c:fixmbr

That should reinstall your xp bootloader.

Then boot with your mandrake cd into mandrake. Write your bootsector to a floppy.

Back to xp: copy the bootsector file to c:

Change your boot.ini.

Using Lilo - boot with your mandrake install cd. Write lilo into mbr. Lilo will show you that you can boot winxp or linux ... that's my solution.

Does it help? It worked for me ...

Yes, that works.

To clarify what I really do, I like gui so I like lilo. I try to make lilo work first with the process previously described. If lilo does not work, I recommend grub, because several others have always used grub without fail. I never recommend a microduff product because I want to sleep comfortably at night without the guilt of sending someone into the windex prison system! :twisted:

I say that if they have had some problem with lilo. I got that from YOU!
Me?....Me?...OK :roll: It's simple really. Both RH and Partition Magic/BootMagic use grub......case closed :wink:

... oh I forgot... 

After booting into mandrake we immediately disable 

supermount :lol:

who's we?....I've never disabled sm.....not even once :wink: . BTW, Anna is my first born daughters name: (Full of Grace).

who's we?....I've never disabled sm.....not even once :wink: . BTW, Anna is my first born daughters name: (Full of Grace).

we = ironical pluralis majestatis, as in 'We, Beatrix, Queen of lala, did tralala ...' 8)

What a wonderful name for your daughter, bvc, I'd love to have this name, but helaas, I'm only Christiane.

I hope the original poster got his problem solved, lol. So he doesn't mind that we are having fun using his thread.