2009.0 64 bit version - anyone tried on laptop?

scoonma

Hi all,

last weekend I installed (mostly unintentionally) the 64bit version of 2009 on a laptop at a friend of mine. Unfortunately that many aspects did work badly or not at all to leave me installing the 32bit version, and the latter works as fine as on this hardware.

I've found the following issues with 64bit - Installation was performed with dual arch single CD:

- Invalidating the stale suspend image very early in startup stage takes very long (more than two minutes) with an exterior HD connected at USB (2.0). The HD has 250GB capacity. Another two minutes goes to harddrake in this case.

- Compared to using the 32bit version, it's not possible to install GNOME from the disk; you'll end up with IceWM (okay, maybe intended to space limitations).

- It's not possible to switch to the german version of Firefox with 64bit - even after installing firefox-de package, default English is used.

- Dvdrip has an apache dependancy with 64bit (but not with 32bit)?!? :blink:

The list is probably incomplete, but at that point I decided to reinstall with 32bit. Before that I had discarded the install CD as source repository and switched over to 2009 Free / 64bit repositories using Easy-Urpmi, which seems correct to me.

Anyone else tried 64bit in a similar environment (about 12 months old laptop in this case)?

If needed I'll add some hardware specs later.

Any comments welcome,

scoonma

- Compared to using the 32bit version, it's not possible to install GNOME from the disk; you'll end up with IceWM (okay, maybe intended to space limitations).

- It's not possible to switch to the german version of Firefox with 64bit - even after installing firefox-de package, default English is used.

- Dvdrip has an apache dependancy with 64bit (but not with 32bit)?!? :blink:

These three seem like possible bugs. I would report them to Mandriva - perhaps adamw will stop by and let you know if he (er, Mandriva) has already come across them.

I used Mandriva 2009.0 x86_64 on my laptop and it was working fine.

Originally I had 2008.1 x86_64 installed, but due to a problem with my mouse, I upgraded to 2009.0 RC2 using the cooker repos. I then moved to 2009.0 when it was release as full version. Gnome and everything was generally fine - I wasn't experiencing any problems as such.