Disk Imaging Software

Technonoid

My main drive is sick. Its having startup sickness. I have 3 other drives exactly like it, and I'm looking for suggestions as to the best free software to image the drive from the sick drive to another drive. The drive has 6 or more partitions, 3 of them fat32, 2 ext3 and 1 ext2. If my memory serves me correctly.

TIA

Tech

Partimage is excellent and I use it all the time. It can't direcltly clone an entire hard drive however. You'll have to image each partition on the drive and store the images somewhere other than the partition your imaging from or restoring to(if that makes any sense) and then do a restore to your new drive. If you have a lot of partitions, it could get tedious. If you want to spend a few bucks, you can get Acronis True Image which has the capability to clone an entire drive. It recognizes all common linux file systems and retails for around $50 last time I checked. It has a nice gui, is user friendly and can backup to CD-R and span media. The downside, you need to have windows to initally install the program after which you can make a bootable CD which will work fine with linux partitions/drives.

I was looking for something I could do a drive to drive image.

What about dd then?

Or assuming both HD (the old one and the new one) are in the computer, boot cd1 of Mandrake, press F1 and type 'rescue'. At the menu, select 'go to console'. Now you can use cp to copy the old drive to the new one...

Or .. look for your Win software .. Maybe it was Ghost or DriveCopy?

MOttS

Guest GorGor

excellent tips so far,

The only caution I can think of is watch your hd format, partimage can handle most, but I dont think Norton Ghost can handle reiserfs last time I checked. Don't know about the other $ programs but you catch my drift.