Boot stuff and cdrom on Debian

Sometimes ya feel like a nOOb :wink:....especially when you didn't google :wink:

This isn't really Debian specific because ML and RH do most of these to but.....

this is debian specific.

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: Partition check:

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel:  /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: [PTBL] [3736/255/63] p1 p2 < p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 >

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: Journalled Block Device driver loaded

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,8).

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 0

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 03:08.

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 03:08) ...

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: Using r5 hash to sort names

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: ReiserFS version 3.6.25

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: Adding Swap: 305192k swap-space (priority -1)

I don't have any ext2 fs's, I don't know what a bogus logical sector size of 0 means, and why is it trying to identify a cdrom? I use reiserfs and here's fstab

/dev/hda8	/  reiserfs	defaults	0	0

/dev/hda1  /mnt/c 	 vfat 	 iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda6       /mnt/ml         reiserfs        defaults,notail 0       0

/dev/hda9  /mnt/share  reiserfs  notail 	 0  0

/dev/hda5	none  swap	sw 	 0	0

proc  /proc  proc	defaults  0	0

/dev/fd0	/floppy  auto	ro,sync,user,noauto  0	0

/dev/cdrom	/cdrom  iso9660	ro,user,noauto  0	0

What do I need so that at boot there isn't a mount attempt on the cdrom?

These happen in all three distros

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: found SMP MP-table at 000f5710

###but below says Processors: 1 which is correct....the MoBo isn't SMP#######

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: OEM ID: OEM00000 Product ID: PROD00000000 APIC at: 0xFEE00000

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: Processor #0 Pentium(tm) Pro APIC version 17

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: I/O APIC #2 Version 17 at 0xFEC00000.

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: Processors: 1

#####says  Processor #0 Pentium(tm) but below is correct###

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+ stepping 02

####My kernel commandline says noapic but above "Processor #0 Pentium(tm) Pro APIC version 17" and below########

Kernel command line: noapic acpi=off idebus=133 rw devfs=nomount root=/dev/hda8 vga=791

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: Using local APIC timer interrupts.

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: calibrating APIC timer ...

###and isn't MARK who can check roots mail?####

Aug 10 17:19:25 localhost -- MARK --

####I can't find or remember the file to change that and run some update file command

:oops: I saw where someone said apic=off but I get the same result.....it's using apic. Everything is working rt....mostly (I'm a perfectionist) but if I say don't, then don't, you know?,,,,and I can't stand errors :evil: :wink: Any thoughts are greatly appreciated :)

Oh, and the cherry on the cake.....I tried to copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archive, after I was dist-upgraded for future possible installs or whatever and as a source, to a cdr and it acted like it mounted and copied.....cool.....after a reboot later a cdr wouldn't mount and even after a couple of reboots.... :shock: and even today, just now, with no disk in the cdrom I get this

localhost:~# ls /cdrom

aalib1_1.4p5-18_i386.deb

abiword-common_1.99.2+cvs.2003.07.10-1_i386.deb

abiword-gnome_1.99.2+cvs.2003.07.10-1_i386.deb

abiword-plugins_1.99.2+cvs.2003.07.10-1_i386.deb

acme_2.0.4-1_i386.deb

adduser_3.50_all.deb

alien_8.34_all.deb

alsa-base_0.9.4-1_all.deb

alsaconf_0.9.4-1_all.deb

alsamixergui_0.9.0rc2-1-3_i386.deb

alsa-modules-2.4.20-3-k7_0.9.4+1_i386.deb

alsa-utils_0.9.4-1_i386.deb

alsa-xmms_0.9.12-1_i386.deb

apt_0.5.8_i386.deb

apt-utils_0.5.8_i386.deb

asclock-themes_2.0.12-7_all.deb

aspell_0.50.3-12_all.deb

aspell-bin_0.50.3-12_i386.deb

aspell-en_0.51-0-3_i386.deb

aterm_0.4.2-5_i386.deb

and of course there's a lot more, but whats up? Is this a mount loop thing? I just want my cdrom back. I can't mount anything, but apt-get can. I booted to win98 and ML9.1 and there's nothing on the cdr, and the puter was shutdown for 2 hrs today, so it can't be in mem can it? :twisted: :shock: :cheeky:

OK, so I put in a music cd, don't mount or anything and xmms is playing it. Then

ls /cdrom

still shows the same 1.5 day old files :shock: ....ThEn while the cdrom was being used by xmms I

rm -fr /cdrom

and it did. Then I quit xmms and tried to open the cd again and couldn't :shock: DUH, there's no /cdrom :P .

mkdir -p /cdrom

and xmms plays the cd, and ls /cdrom shows the music files.....what happen to device being busy :?: :shock: :cheeky:

On a serious note, so the cdrom is just acting goofy when you boot up. Is it possible MDK supermount is confusing it? I don't know much about supermount and I thought there was a line in /etc/fstab for it. When did it start doing this and did you do any kernel compile in one of them recently that might affect FS's?

My bad, I thought your fstab looked the same across the board, what was I thinking :screwy:

Aug 10 16:59:25 localhost kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

What is that? I kept haveing that flash up when I was using Debian???

Let me search around and see if I can find something for you.

I don't know if you solved this or not, but just so you know, you copied files to a CD-ROM mount point, when a CD wasn't mounted. So, all you did was copied files into a directory. When you would properly mount a CD to that mount point, the files will disappear and you will see only the contents of the CD-ROM in there. When you unmount it again, you will see the files you copied there.

If you are trying to burn a CD, you can't do it just by copying files to the mount point. You need to run a CD-burning program to do it.

If you didn't realize it, audio CDs don't get mounted, so the mount point won't be mounted, still allowing you to see the files in there.

Also, on Debian, or any distro without some kind of Supermount patch in the kernel, CDs won't automatically be mounted.

As far as the other stuff goes, I don't know. ;)

Thanks! It does seem to be behaving. I haven't tried to copy to a cd again yet though. Could have sworn I mounted it.

Wasn't trying to burn.

I've never heard that audio cd's aren't mounted b4. :? How are the files even seen and the cdrom activated (active) if not mounted? :?

Well, when I want to play an audio CD, I just put the path to the device as the location into XMMS' platlist (/dev/cdrom) and it plays. It doesn't mount it at all, it just accesses the device directly and reads the audio data. I tried mounting a plain audio CD before, but it didn't work for me. Perhaps my fstab entries are wrong, but in any case, you don't need to mount to play it.

Wasn't trying to burn.

I thought you were trying to burn CDs because of this part of your post:

I tried to copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archive, after I was dist-upgraded for future possible installs or whatever and as a source, to a cdr and it acted like it mounted and copied.....cool.....after a reboot later a cdr wouldn't mount

What did you mean by that? I guess I just didn't understand it. And I didn't understand this part either:

I haven't tried to copy to a cd again yet though.

It sounds like you're trying to burn CDs without burning them?? I'm confused. :?