k3b not working in 2009.0 [solved]

RVDowning

I finally downloaded the pwp dvd and now I can't burn it to a dvd. k3b computes the checksum (takes forever) and then says that it can't unmount the dvd (which isn't mounted anyway) and terminates. This is getting old. Is there some other product I can use to burn a dvd? There sure is a lot of stuff in this release that doesn't work.

RVD and Dan, that is also how I feel about 2009-kde, fullstop.

My 2008-Spring works great. A couple of niggles but I will deal with them one at a time. I don't like Gnome and ever have done even though I try it each time in each version. Basically all KDE in 2009 is a great pain I can do without. I will play around with it but that is all.

I think it will be 2009-Spring before I change from 2008-Spring.

Cheers. John.

I never used to like gnome, then I just decided to switch and stick with it. Now I like it :)

It may be the only viable option as this kde4 virus continues to grow. :sad:

Just as Vista was the best thing to have happened to Linux, kde4 might be the best thing that has happened to gnome.

Edited by RVDowning

There's nothing to stop you using Mandriva 2009 with KDE 3.5 though, it's an option, right?

Just like with 2008.1, KDE 3.5 is default and KDE 4 optional, just the other way round.

Well, I didn't want to screw around majorly until I got a backup. But, not being able to write to my dvd kind of slows that down. The Mondo/Mindi backup suite seems to have written to the dvd ok, but for some reason when I boot from the created dvd I don't get to the right place to do a restore, as I did in 2008.1. I need to iron this out before I get too adventurous. Plus, I can't even seem to burn the pwp dvd iso.

I swear, sometimes I think I have two copies of programs on my system, one specific to kde4 and one specific to kde3. Some application behaviour is just odd.

My worry is that the system gets so hosed that I can't bring it up. I kind of need the GUI to be able to function. So, if I can't get the system up, then it doesn't matter if my data is ok because I would have no way to get to it to do anything. I would need to do a restore to put my system back together, so I would need to have backed it up first.

I'd say all your hassles are because of KDE. I'm using Gnome, and it's exceptionally stable and without problems. Although, I'd also say that if you installed KDE 3 instead of KDE 4, you'd have also had stability too and less problems if any at all.

Don't judge the whole release by what KDE 4 does - perhaps Mandriva were a bit ahead of themselves by making KDE 4 the default though.