Can someone post their fstab line for an NTFS windows mount?

Guest jtaylr77

Guest jtaylr77

I began with a FAT32 partition in XP but changed to NTFS but my fstab still reflects the FAT32 so it doesn't mount windows hard drive any more. Thanks!

NTFS is supported for read, and writing to it is experimental. it's highly suggested against, but it is possible.

unfortunately I don't have an fstab line to show you :? being that I don't use windows at all anymore...

Guest jtaylr77

Yes I only need it for read only. I'm using MDK 9.1 and I had it on here before but then I tried FAT32 to run wine and launch programs from the windows partition but no luck so I switched back.

did you try using some of the tools in Mandrake Control Center? I.E. maybe diskdrake to change mountpoints and filesystem type...(just don't delete/remove/add/do anything to the partition table ;-) )

here it is:

[william@poseidon william]$ cat /etc/fstab

/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 noatime 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/sda4,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

As you can see, my hd is partitioned and with mdk 9.1 I'm able to listen to some mp3 loaded from windows's directories (argh!!!).

Guest SpaceCadet

it's possible to launch programs from your windows partition???? That would be cool!!! What about an ftp program that I have installed on there? How would the file system work on something like that? I have windows 98SE and if i could do something like that it would be very helpful to me :)

SpaceCadet:

I haven't had the courage to start with a wine installation process. If you google or do a search in this site you will see a bunch posts concerning wine problems. Actually the only purpose of having windows here is due to my wife's laziness.

After years using windows and MacOS, I was introduced to linux that despite of not being so user friendly as the others "common" OS is beyond all my expectations. As a linux home user and as a consequence using the computer for home purposes I was able to find all equivalent applications according to my needs.

Not trying to be polemical, but xmule is a good catch to replace windows engine to share files(p2p).

Here you can find some options to replace windows applications.

Good luck.