I want to buy a scanner. Any recommendations?

emh

Any particular company I should pay attention to?

I'm already looking at the list for sane, so I have an idea.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something I can scan the occasional picture into, and maybe my butt once in a while..... :wink: Errr, on second thought, maybe not.........

Anyway, any advice anyone can give?

Almost all scsi scanners work. Some usb are going. Definitely stick to the list. I have used three scanners, thinking I could make it work, but I'm just too much of a noob! :lol: I think epsons are good, but none of the cheap scanners work. Spen some money, no headaches.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just add another one here. Bought the Epson 2400 Photo last week and I'm very happy with it. Easy to install and easy to use.

It's my first scanner, so I can't compare to others, but the results are good and the machine itself looks sturdy and well-made

What made me laugh the most with my Epson is all the MSwindows warnings that 'you must really follow: FIRST install the drivers, THEN connect the scanner. And if you want to upgrade your windows, first deinstall all software, then upgade the system, then reinstall the software/drivers, and only then connect the scanner.'

Funny, that. I just connected the scanner, went into mcc to get it listed. Then clicked the icon on the desktop and started scanning.

;)

Well, I broke down and treated myself to an Epson Perfection 1260 (Photo). I was a cheapskate this time, though. I only spent $80 on it at Comp USA.

Went to Mandrake Control Center, it was immediately listed as there and ready to use.

Fired up XSane, everything worked like a charm. I have to say that Xsane is extremely easy to use, unlike the software that came with my dad's scanner or my significant other's scanner.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Epson is a company that will be on my good side from now on. :wink:

I haven't yet installed it on my Windows side. I think that might be a little bit more trouble.

I didn't get a desktop icon, though. No big deal, though. I can always make a desktop icon for Xsane.

I actually sent Epson an email, telling them that HP and Canon were the competition, but thanks to the better linux support, Epson got my cash.

I added a note: "for your statistical information" so they would know this was not a support request or so.

A week later, I actually got a reply from customer support (from a different country then where I sent the original message), saying: thank you for your information, we have taken note, and enjoy your epson product.

Tell them linux support got them your money. They need to know.