Strigi

Chris H

Hello John, could you explain it again here? I can't figure out how to use the desktop search neither, and I don't know what other post you are refering to.

I already spent some time searching for an answer but so far this post here was the only thing I came across.

Thanks a lot

creekpeople

Hello Creekpeople and Chris H.

Chris H it was referencing to one of your other threads.....Either you did not read it or forgot it.

QUOTE :- ¨ At this stage, regarding KDE4 I think you may have to read many of the KDE4 how-to files. It is all to do with Plasma and Plasmoids. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

There may be someone who can detail it for you but you may have to wait a while.

Cheers. John. ¨

Sorry I can´t be more helpful than that. John. :)

Edited by AussieJohn

it was referencing to one of your other threads.....Either you did not read it or forgot it.

Or he read it, remembered it, realised that all you had said was "I don't know" and then assumed that in this thread you must have been talking about another post in which you provided some information (unfortunately you didn't provide a link to your earlier post in order to make it easier).

You could install strigi-gui, and use this to perform the search :unsure:

Thanks, but I already tried to install all the packages I could find that are related to strigi. Amongst other things, I also installed the package strigi-gui (which seemed promising). Nonetheless I can't find anything in the kickoff-menu or in the program-starter (alt-F2) after installation. I couldn't find any othe rpms that seemed fitting. But maybe I have a necessary repository missing. The rpm I used was release 2mdv2009.0 version 0.5.11.

Any idea is appreciated.

Thank you very much!

If it didn't exist in the menu, it could be you just need to do this.

1. Press ALT-F2 and in the run box, type the following:

/usr/bin/strigiclient

as strigi-gui is installed, this file will exist. I've not got it installed, but when I did this, I could find out what files were a part of the strigi-gui rpm:

[ian@esprit ~]$ urpmq -l strigi-gui
$MIRRORLIST: media/main/release/media_info/20081007-085254-files.xml.lzma
/usr/bin/strigiclient

hope that helps!

Thank you, I was able to start that program and it has a search mask at the bottom of its window, but when I throw search terms at it, it doesn't return any results. I tested that on two computers (desktop and laptop). Strigi returned a message that indexing was completed, so I don't get it anymore. Is there anything else I am supposed to do?

And another question: If KDE4 introduced strigi as its new search engine, why isn't there any search bar in dolphin, kickoff or whoknowswhere?

Anyway, thanks for your help Ian, especially for the urpmq-command I was unaware of before.

Having a further nose in this it seems Strigi is working with the nepomuk semantic desktop in Mandriva. Seems it should be useable in Dolphin but the search function there seems no different from the konqueror one.

Methinks I'll remove strigi and just load up beagle or google desktop. Least I know what they are and how to use them.

John, I did check the other kde4 thread and there was a link there to some kde documentation, but that didn't contain any reference to strigi either.

Edited by Chris H

Some other nice info:

[ian@esprit ~]$ urpmq -i strigi
Name		: strigi
Version	 : 0.5.11
Release	 : 2mdv2009.0
Group	   : Graphical desktop/KDE
Size		: 2313087					  Architecture: x86_64
Source RPM  : strigi-0.5.11-2mdv2009.0.src.rpm
URL		 : http://strigi.sourceforge.net
Summary	 : Desktop Search
Description :
Here are the main features of Strigi:

* very fast crawling
* very small memory footprint
* no hammering of the system
* pluggable backend, currently clucene and hyperestraier,
sqlite3 and xapian are in the works
* communication between daemon and search program over an
abstract interface, this is currently a simple socket
but implementation of dbus is a possibility. There's a
small perl program in the code as an example of how to
query. This is so easy that any KDE app could implement this.
* simple interface for implementing plugins for extracting
information. we'll try to reuse the kat plugins, although
native plugins will have a large speed advantage
* calculation of sha1 for every file crawled (allows fast finding
 of duplicates)

[ian@esprit ~]$ urpmq -i strigi-gui
Name		: strigi-gui
Version	 : 0.5.11
Release	 : 2mdv2009.0
Group	   : Graphical desktop/KDE
Size		: 197464					   Architecture: x86_64
Source RPM  : strigi-0.5.11-2mdv2009.0.src.rpm
URL		 : http://strigi.sourceforge.net
Summary	 : Strigi interface
Description :
Strigi interface

I don't think it's a particular implementation for KDE, and hence why the icons are not included by default. Although, I'd have expected one to be created when the GUI was installed but never mind :)

Having a further nose in this it seems Strigi is working with the nepomuk semantic desktop in Mandriva. Seems it should be useable in Dolphin but the search function there seems no different from the konqueror one.

Methinks I'll remove strigi and just load up beagle or google desktop. Least I know what they are and how to use them.

I just installed Kerry again. And well, it does what it is supposed to do.

Still, all this gives me a feeling of defeat. I cannot understand why all release notes boast about the wonders of the semantic desktop and about strigi's implementation. Obviously it is incomplete, or, let's say impossible to use (at least for me).

If any of you comes across a solution, I would still be glad to hear about it. I can't imagine that strigi's there for nothing.

Greetings!