spam blocker

gmac

My ISP recommended this site for a download programme to bounce back spam. It works, also has links to linux version. thought it might be of interest, personally I'm fed up with yoghurt adverts. tis free or you can pay a donation.

From New Zealand no less

www.mailwasher.net

I used that for a long time, and while its satisfying to be able to bounce back, it has some drawbacks.

1. bounced email, in turn, overtaxes system. Each spam sent out and bounced actually doubles the traffic. In many cases, the bounce causes other bounces and traffic.

2. Spammers are figuring out what bounced mail is real and what is not. Look at time frames. If it takes 24 hours to come back then maybe its a manual bounce compared to an automatic bounce.

Check out

http://sourceforge.net/projects/popfile

This is a proxy that eventually goes to 99.9% accuracy in identifying email and it will classify them for you so you can redirect spam to a spam folder.

being a cheapskate the free bit appealed to me. I've been not replying to them since forever i thought this might persuade them i don't exist. does putting them in a spam folder do anything to cut the number or just eliminate the risk of viruses?

They seem to piggy back or something. I download 30 e-mails and yet there are only 5 on the isp server. :? I have a vurus checker as well having learned painfully the perils of not having one.

I've only just downloaded it so i'll give it a good try first. currently i use a webmail address for convenience though I am going to have to make security a major consideration fairly soon. maybe i should join a large company and let someone else bother.