Debian- upgraded the kernel, now I can't connect.

well, that says it. I'm about 3/4 through upgrading a Debian Woody to unstable and after upgrading from kernel 2.4.18 to 2.4.21 I can't connect/internet. I can reboot to 2.4.18 and connect (what I'm in now), but reboot again to 2.4.21 and can not. I had this happen once with ML9.1 last week but after rebooting a second time I could connect. I've rebooted several times between the 2 and still nothing from 2.4.21. Wvdial behaves normally, no errors anywhere, pppd is started, and /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/ppp/resolv.conf is correct. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Hi bvc

I don't use dial-up at all so that may not worth reading but here we go.

Does Debian comes with pre-configured kernels or you have to configure it by yourself? Because I had to configure the kernel about ten times in Gentoo before checking the right option (for pppoe - ADSL) to connect to the net. I know there is not much differences between 2.4.18 and 2.4.21 and the makemenuconfig task can be almost 'routine' for you (and me) but if you did configure the kernel by yourself, it may worth the check ...

Other than that .. I'm clueless.

My 2 cents..

MOttS

Thanks MottS! Actually it's what they call a kernel-image (precompiled) in my case for athlon. I can, apt-get a kernel-source, which is my next step I guess, but you'd think that a precompiled kernel would have everything necessary for ppp/dialup, and since this happened with a precompiled mdk kernel (2.4.25) I think something weird is happening but I don't know what. Thanks again!

Thanks sarah31! :oops: it was late and I hadn't thought of the first thing I should have.....ifconfig. It revealed that diald was attempting to use tap0. I don't need or want it so, apt-get remove diald > and all is well! Thanks again! :banghead: