SoulSe

Which is the best pocket OS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which is the best pocket OS?

• Palm OS
    • Win CE / Pocket
    • Linux
    • Psion's OS

looks like opie-write is the closest thing to an open office type of thing. it's a rich text editor...not the greatest thing :? (btw-ipkgfind.handhelds.org will become your friend)

as for external keyboards, this might be of help: http://www.handhelds.org/handhelds-faq/keyboards.html

I was under the impression that Familiar ran with the iPaq on its side, my mistake. I've never used it.

The fact that I need a few hours to install Opie brings me back to the time issue... it's a pity that Win CE won't sync with Linux (in practise), so that I can load it back if the whole Familiar/Opie thing won't work.

I even had the idea last night to set up an old Pentium box I have here as a 'syncing server' - if you will.

My plan went like this:

1. Load Windows on the Pentium.

2. Setup syncing with the iPaq to the Pentium.

3. Network it to my Linux box.

4. Export the data from the 'doze box to the Linux box.

Awefully convoluted, I know :roll: I guess I might be brave though and try Familiar/Opie.

It is very tempting to shove it and go for a tried-and-tested Palm OS machine. I know the specs are better on the iPaq, but I have never used more then 5MB on my current Palm - I just want it to work!

WinCE will syncwith linux (using a multisync plugin) - syncing is quite good. The only problem I've ever had is to do with daylight saving and timezones messing up mny calendar appointments - but you don't have daylight saving...

If you' re worried about hardware or time spent putting opie on an ipaq then a zaurus is not second by very much...

That's cool, I had spoken to some people who said that the syncing was impossible to get working properly... guess they were just full of shit.

Thanks for the convincing... talk about tough customers, eh :wink:

I'll let you know what I got, probably in the next two weeks.