SoulSe

Which is the best pocket OS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which is the best pocket OS?

• Palm OS
    • Win CE / Pocket
    • Linux
    • Psion's OS

We've discussed this briefly a few times before, but I would like to settle it once and for all since I am currently looking to upgrade my PDA.

We all know that currently the Palm OS is the best for syncing with Linux. WinCE/Pocket is supposedly supported by some conduit software, but googling reveals that no-one can really get it to work.

The handhelds I have looked at are the Palm Zire 71, the HP/Compaq iPaq 19.... something, the Acer n10, various Clies and the Sharp Zaurus

The Zire 71 seems to be the winner in that price range. Obviously I can sync it with Evolution (being a Palm) and I guess I could mount the SD cards as devices on their own or buy a reader for them, allowing me to use the camera with Linux. Additional Windows reliant software I guess I can live without.

The iPaq and n10 are cool, I looked at them because of the great price. Problem is, they can't sync with Linux (the promises made by some developers don't seem to deliver). Plus, even if I could get them to sync, the pocket versions of Word and Excel would probably be useless (or am I missing something). The iPaq also has a mini-headphone jack, which prevents you from using a normal set of headphones without a converter.

I could, of course, load Linux on an iPaq or n10, but the procedure seems long, tough and complicated and, frankly, I don't have the time.

Finally, the Sharp Zaurus runs Linux, yeah! But it doesn't sync with Linux!?! How ****ing retarded is that? You go to all the trouble of manufacturing a PDA that runs Linux but then you don't make it sync with Linux. dumb dumb dumb.

So, please fill me in with what you know or correct me on what I have gotten wrong. I would like to go Palm, but I hate the fact that most of the software available for editing office documents cannot be used with Linux. I want to do spread-sheeting and document editing and then sync to Linux and use the documents with Open Office. Possible?

Uh... I dunno if you read my post, but:

I could, of course, load Linux on an iPaq or n10, but the procedure seems long, tough and complicated and, frankly, I don't have the time.

It seems like a good idea, if you have a lot of time to spare and are content with a half-working PDA - unless I missed something...

I have since found out that I can connect a CE machine to a Linux machine, but that doesn't help me sync data...

My biggest concern is being able to manipluate documents which I can get to Open Office to use. I want syncing to be quick and easy.

I had to vote Wince/Pocket.

Now to justify...

Where I am the Zaurus range hasn't been updated for two years. And they are not easy to get, even if they have been updated. The Pocket OS looks good and has a good range of software. As for Palm, they are too far behind and they are underpowered. And there is something about PalmOS i don't like.

Although the only downside to the Pocket PC's is they are M$ and it'd probably be pretty hard to get it goin with Linux. Unless you installed linux on it.

James

I voted Linux,

I have a zarus!

Finally, the Sharp Zaurus runs Linux, yeah! But it doesn't sync with Linux!?! How f****** retarded is that? You go to all the trouble of manufacturing a PDA that runs Linux but then you don't make it sync with Linux. dumb dumb dumb.

I had no problems syncing it with RH? Haven't tried anyone else.

i had my ipaq running familiar with opie in half an hour at the most. it does not take long, and it is quite functional. i haven't tried syncing it yet, but i've heard (though not here) that it's not very hard.

Guest Chadd

Only problem for the m500 (for me) is that I tried to use jpilot AND kpilot, to see which one I liked better. At the moment jpilot is jelous that kpilot has been with palm also and will not sync anymore. I have not looked into the problem yet and just use kpilot.

I agree with Tyme. Ipaq running familair/opie is best. I currently have pocket PC running on my ipaq - and I had previously thought that opie/qpe were a bit rough around the edges. I can now say (having used Pocket PC for a few weeks) that there are as many annoying quirks in that - and that it is easier to live with the quirks in opie. It is not hard to load linux and you can use either multisync with opie plugin or kitchensync to sync with linux (evolution or KDE pim apps)

With the Ipaq you get the best hardware available for a PDA.

The only real downside I can see is that you cna have GPS with an Ipaq running pocket PC - but I'm not sure if you can with opie/familiar

At some point in the future I will be returning to familiar/opie

Edit: all that said - a zaurus comes a close second (but only if you get a SL-5600 not the 5500)

Ok cool.

Well, if it only takes a few minutes to install Familiar with Opie, I will get an IPaq, some questions though:

Is it easy to connect the Ipaq running Linux to a cellphone with IR? How is the Internet browsing? Email?

Secondly, can I listen to mp3s on an Ipaq running Familiar and does it access SD memory cards properly?

Next up, if I buy a keyboard for the iPaq, will it work ok in Linux? How do I edit documents? Does it run Open Office or what?

And then, syncing datebook data, etc. is cool, but can I send other files to/from my big box? Documents? mp3s?

If I don't like Linux, can I restore Win CE? I see on the handheld.org site that they say I can, but is it bulletproof?

Sorry for all the questions, but the only PDAs I have experience with all run Palm OS.

Ok cool.  

Well, if it only takes a few minutes to install Familiar with Opie, I will get an IPaq, some questions though:

Is it easy to connect the Ipaq running Linux to a cellphone with IR? How is the Internet browsing? Email?

Yes - you just have to set up irda whihc is a case of installing a package or two and loading some modules. There are various browsers and an opie mail app.

Secondly, can I listen to mp3s on an Ipaq running Familiar and does it access SD memory cards properly?

Yes on the MP3s - no idea about SD cards - but I would expect so

Next up, if I buy a keyboard for the iPaq, will it work ok in Linux? How do I edit documents? Does it run Open Office or what?

It should work fine. Not sure if you can get open office - or what office software is available for opie.

And then, syncing datebook data, etc. is cool, but can I send other files to/from my big box? Documents? mp3s?

Yes - easy to do. If nothing else you can just use scp.

If I don't like Linux, can I restore Win CE? I see on the handheld.org site that they say I can, but is it bulletproof?

Yes - I've done it two or three times with no problem - just make sure you back up your wince image - do it twice to be sure :wink: If it does go wrong then Compaq wil lrestore your ipaq from a "brick" - just because they are nice

Sorry for all the questions, but the only PDAs I have experience with all run Palm OS.

No problem - opie (and win ce IMHO) is a much better PDA OS than Palm IMHO[/b]

Thanks Phunni! Your post is most helpfull.

I am going to read up more on Opie and try and find out about the keyboard.

Don't know how I feel about turning the iPaq on its side, either (just doesn't feel right).