How on earth do you use flightgear?

phunni

Anyone know how to actually fly a plane in flightgear? All the docs I can find are about getting the program to compile, run etc...

There doesn't seem to be much documentation on how you actually fly the planes. I found a couple of step by step tutorials - but they are all about what you do with the plane - they assume too much knowledge!

Can anyone help - I'd love to play with flightgear, but at the moment it just annoys me

Thanks - that link just gives me loads of gobbledegook (once I removed the extra http://)  Do you have another link.  getting off the ground would be a good start  :)

Sorry about the funny link. Try this one, but click to save the link and save it as a PDF. You may need a general reference card of some kind to go along with it (like the reference card provided at the flightgear web site. I assume you've poked around that site and the getting started documentation? Combined with the reference card, the Circuit in Flightgeat tutorial looks good.

I can't even get the thing to install much less worry about flying planes. : I got sick of hunting down dependencys only to need other dependency's which need other ones. Would be cool if they had a rpm install. (yes I can be lazy at times. :D)

FX

Uhm.. I'm not sure I understand what you want, so I'll just list up what I remember from my flight sim-craze days.

Take off:

1. Adjust flaps (can't remember to what, think it was up)

2. Increase throttle

-- These two could be mixed up. :P

3. Release breaks

4. Allow the plane to reach takeoff speed. (Different from plane to plane, if I remember correctly the cessnas don't need more than 120 mph, the bigger ones like the boeing 747 needs 200 mph, so on)

5. Pull back on the stick, gently increasing to 25 degrees climb (or somewhere around there)

6. Retract landing gear (doh :P)

7. Level out the plane

8. Adjust flaps

9. Decrease throttle to cruising speed

10. Set course

When stalling, decrease throttle, dive, increase and level out.

It's been a few years though..