Should I wait?

FX

Thinking of switching from RH 9 to Mandrake. I know the beta for both are out there right now, so should I wait for the final release of Mandrakes new edition or just download 9.1 and then do a upgrade later?

Also I am not really sure on what to save with changing or upgrading. Under my /home/me directory don't have alot unless there are things I don't see or know about. I am still kind of a newbie to Linux yet.

Thanks

FX

/home/me will have a lot of settings, i.e. any configuration you've done to how your desktop looks, settings for your email program, etc.

i would wait till 9.2, personally. it should be out within two months-if all goes well. when changing distro's, don't do an upgrade.

It's always a good idea to simply to a clean install and not format /home (although it's worth backing your home directory up as I lost it once - despite telling MDK installer NOT to format /home).

I would wait till 9.2. if I were you

I would advice you to

-wait for 9.2, if you can, or

-dualboot your current system with 9.1 or cooker if you have broadband

-backup /home/me

to know how much data you have, just do a

df -h

it will tell you exactly how many megs you have.

In the mean time, take some time and figure out how to do cdburning. K3B should be the way to go, give it a shot.

BTW don't worry if you can't manage getting k3b to work for you on RH, just ask here anyway. Plenty of people to help out, no matter whether you use mdk or rh.