First commercial (and "legal") DVD player for Linu

mtweidmann

yeah, non-members of the click-and-run store. but i have no idea what packages they are using, or how the system works for getting said packages, and i'm not paying $40 to find out!! hehe...

the question is, if it's certified, can one get the source if they buy the binary? and, if you can, wouldn't that completely undermine the anti-piracy let's-go-drm crap? and, if you can't, aren't they violating the GPL?

these are rhetorical questions, i'm not looking for an answer, just raising possible questions...

Look here:

http://www.lindows.com/lindows_dvd_info.php

and see that it is just Xine.

So they got a license for (a similar lib to) libdvdcss and are packing that.

Since it is Xine as a front-end and engine, I doubt it is very different.

Remember, the only problem with dvd-playback on linux is decss, thanks to the dmca. Which also implies that outside of the USA everyone can use libdvdcss (urpmi libdvdcss2 IIRC, check my site) without any problem.

So, they are selling xine for 4.95$ and if they don't give any money to xine devvers, they are being their usual selvish rats...

I talked to a friend who installed it yesterday.

Click and run is no longer based on APT at all. (According to Stallman)

This is sorta good and sorta bad.

Its good for Consumers.... I don't have any pirated software, not now Im 100% linux :-) but I do run illegal software like css.

This at least gives consumers a choice, they can run linux (apparently doesn't run as root anymore either) and legally watch DVD's.....

I'd pay the 5$ to do that.... its a prety nominal charge :-)

obviously xine is just the front end. i have a feeling what you are paying for is whatever they had to do to get the license-along with, most likely, licensing fees they have to pay for said license (and of course a little extra money so they can make profit-which every and any company needs, even Mandrake)..

Gowator: it's only $5 if you already have a click-n-run membership.

let's not start with the lindows bashing.