RpmDrake/ Urpmi...

Guest loopback48

Guest loopback48

I'm trying to learn how to manage my software-ie downloading and upgrading software. Went to Desktop-Linux.net and found "Urpmi". It's the comand line version of RpmDrake. Some where down the middle of this tutorial it recommended upgrading Urpmi before anything else. Well, not knowing a damn thing about all this, I did. Opened a terminal typed, "urpmi.update -a". Bye-golly, it did it! I think. Here is the results. Can somebody help in translating?

urpmi.update -a

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz]

retrieving description file of "Macromedia"...

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "Macromedia"...

http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/urpmi/m...hesis.hdlist.cz

...retrieving done

examining synthesis file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.Macromedia.cz]

writing list file for medium "Macromedia"

retrieving description file of "update_source"...

...retrieving done

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "update_source"...

ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.man.../base/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 7 or signal 0

retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "update_source"

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]

found 0 headers in cache

removing 0 obsolete headers in cache

write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

Thanks,

Loopback48

For the most part it worked fine. It did, however, fail to retrieve the hdlist for your update_source source. This is not necessarily a bad thing or an error. All it means is that when it tried to connect to that source via ftp it was unable to either connect or download the required files.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: RpmDrake/ Urpmi...

I'm trying to learn how to manage my software-ie downloading and upgrading software. Went to Desktop-Linux.net and found "Urpmi". It's the comand line version of RpmDrake. Some where down the middle of this tutorial it recommended upgrading Urpmi before anything else. Well, not knowing a damn thing about all this, I did. Opened a terminal typed, "urpmi.update -a". Bye-golly, it did it! I think. Here is the results. Can somebody help in translating?

urpmi.update -a

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz]

Simply checking the install media - i.e. the CD's

retrieving description file of "Macromedia"...

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "Macromedia"...

http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/urpmi/m...hesis.hdlist.cz

...retrieving done

examining synthesis file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.Macromedia.cz]

writing list file for medium "Macromedia"

retrieving description file of "update_source"...

...retrieving done

Worked great here, although how do you have a Macromedia source in there?

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "update_source"...

ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.man.../base/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 7 or signal 0 

Failed to retrieve this source. Not really a big deal, just run it again and it should work. If it continuely fails, then you will need to find a new source.

Some where down the middle of this tutorial it recommended upgrading Urpmi before anything else.

I think this may have meant more to download and upgrade the urpmi program since the one that came with 9.1 had a bug or two.

If you don't already have this available to install, download this file: urpmi-4.2-34.1mdk.noarch.rpm

from someplace like here: ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.man...r=blue][/color]