problem with permission in root

I am trying to change the options of the ppp, but it won't let me.

I have been opening a terminal and logging in as root, and when I enter the command

/etc/ppp/options

I get the reply

bash: /etc/ppp/options: permission denied

I thought I had the permission to do anything as root

How do I change this permission to allow me to change the options?

as root, do:

chmod +x /etc/ppp/options

although I didn't know that this was intended to be an executable...:?: it might just be a file that you have to edit by hand with your favorite text editor (i like gedit myself)

Forget about changing permissions, you don't need to do that to edit the file (any file)

Open a term and su to root. then type:

vi full_path_to_your_file

If you don't know how to use vi, then here's an easier way. Go to applications on the k (start) menu. file tools, file manager super user mode. It will ask for root password. enter it then navigate to your chosen file. click or double click to open. edit and save.

TIP.. Learn to use vi

gedit, kate etc, won't work if X crashes. vi will 8)

pfft, vi sux0rs ;-) for CLI, I prefer nano (which isn't on the CDs-got it from contrib i think).

anyways, i sort of typed as I thought in that post, as no you don't need to change any permissions...unless you want it to execute, which is not what you want to do. I wasn't sure if it was an executable or a text file, as he seems to be trying to run it as a program.... ;-) which is not going to work, since it's not a program (just checked on it). sooo...yeah, do as anon said.

pfft, vi sux0rs ;-)  for CLI, I prefer nano (which isn't on the CDs-got it from contrib i think).

Mandrake, redhat etc, come pre-installed with vi, so if you have no net connection, no X, you can always rely on vi :wink:

Here's my problem:

I am using dial up, I have an external modem.

There are two lines I can connect on, but one is much faster than the other.

The fast line won't connect, the log file keeps telling me that it is not 8 bit clean.

I have found that I need to change the number of configuration request sent to the isp.

I was told to change the number in the ppp options.

I was told I need to enter: lcp-max-configure 30

Every time I tried to open options I would get permission denied.

I just want to know how to change this.

I am exteremly new to linux, I have only had it on my computer for about two weeks, the fisrt week and ahlf with out internet , until I figured out that I had to turn off the lan connection.

This atleast letsme access the slower internet connection, and it is reallly slow!

So, if someone could help me change the max configure requests of the ppp I would really appreciate it.

assuming the file is a text file ... as tyme has confirmed

Open a text editor.... really vi is the best cos it won't put in any options but gedit will do for now.

Then enter the line where your told to.

If you need to add it to the end you can do it another way...

cat whatevertextyouwant >>nameoffile

I suggest you try this on a useless text file first.... to see the effect.

You can also make another text file in an editor, lets call it myfile

then you can copy

cp filetoappendto myfile filetoappendto

pfft, vi sux0rs ;-)  for CLI, I prefer nano (which isn't on the CDs-got it from contrib i think).

anyways, i sort of typed as I thought in that post, as no you don't need to change any permissions...unless you want it to execute, which is not what you want to do.   I wasn't sure if it was an executable or a text file, as he seems to be trying to run it as a program.... ;-) which is not going to work, since it's not a program (just checked on it).  sooo...yeah, do as anon said.

Nano, nano, nano!!!

I used joe for a while in pico emulation mode too. Now i use nano. I can't really be bothered learning vi, nano seems natural and easy enough for me. I depend on it heavily now.

James