More installation questions: checkinstall

Andrewski

So I think the best way to go with installing from source is to make an RPM from it. That way, I can uninstall easily. Anyone want to back me up on this?

So I downloaded checkinstall, but there are tons of cryptic options for it. Which are essential and how do I go about installing from source? And why isn't there a man page for it?!

I am not an expert and just used checkinstall myself yesterday.

First, I did a search on this board :roll: and found a great help from cannonfodder... scroll down a bit and there are very clear and simple instructions for using checkinstall.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...ht=checkinstall

I followed those instructions, answered the questions it asked me and installed 2 dependencies and a 5mb executable and everything works!

I also did a bit of reading from a google search on checkinstall but nothing beat cannonfodder's wisdom. :)

Hint: you can find checkinstall docs in /usr/share/doc/checkinstall xxxx Most all software installs a doc to the /usr/share/doc directory so you can always check it there. Sadly, documentation in open source is not as complete as it could be, but there is some!

:)

Name : checkinstall

Version : 1.5.3

Vendor : MandrakeSoft

Release : 4mdk

Date : 2003-07-25 11:33:05

Group : System/Configuration/Packaging

Size : 125339

Summary : CheckInstall installations tracker

Description :

CheckInstall keeps track of all the files created or modified by your installation script ("make install" "make install_modules", "setup", etc), builds a standard binary package and installs it in your system giving you the ability to uninstall it with your distribution's standard package management utilities.

You can get the source, checkinstall-1.5.3-4mdk.src.rpm or the binary, checkinstall-1.5.3-4mdk.i586.rpm

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...k.i586.rpm.html