security

Michel

On www.pclinuxonline.com they say that the mandrake-kernel makes al new files with mode 0666 (world-writable). I cannot access my mandrake at this point, but is this true???? Can't you just change a certain option I thought????? downgrading?????

Why the talk of downgrading? :roll: It says

We are working hard to attempt to get this problem corrected with new kernels available in the next 24-48hrs.
If not a network for a major corp. just wait.....you've ran it this long heh? Gotta firewall heh? :wink:

Newbie qustion here, What Kernel ships with 9.1? I haven't done any updates (Dial up connection). I think Im safe as everything seems to say you need to downgrade. Hopefully someone will post how you downgrade your kernel (like upgreading looks easy :P :!: :!: )

While your worried about security and the kernel. What security fix's did the .24 fix on top of the little oops with permissions.

Like bvc stated, are you sitting wide open to the world when your connected to the NET? If you are, you have more to worry about than one kernel problem. That's even if you have some kind of sensitive data on your box. 95% of hacking comes from script kiddies that have know idea what there doing so for the most part you don't have much to worry about.

Firewall = yes, you better have one.

Well based on the email I received well after I think 2 emails he basically said if you are using the .24 kernel either switch to the secure kernel or downgrade to .18. He didn't suggest that anyone run that kernel so I found my .18 kernel/source and welp went back to it..:) Ya see my wife uses the pc aswell and I really don't need her in their and then having a ton of files world readable..:)

Well based on the email I received well after I think 2 emails he basically said if you are using the .24 kernel either switch to the secure kernel or downgrade to .18. He didn't suggest that anyone run that kernel so I found my .18 kernel/source and welp went back to it..:) Ya see my wife uses the pc aswell and I really don't need her in their and then having a ton of files world readable..:)

That would make sence, my wife doesn't touch my main box. :wink: Of course I'm not running mdk so it wouldn't matter either. :wink:

Well we have one pc at the house other then my testing pc.. and since we have 2 kids no spare room atm till we build a new house.. So until then it's 1 pc for me and her to share..:) She did have her own pc setup with Suse but that pc finally bit the dust and well ya know no room and no desire to get a new one. Probably get myself a nice alienware laptop soon though..

Well we have one pc at the house other then my testing pc.. and since we have 2 kids no spare room atm till we build a new house.. So until then it's 1 pc for me and her to share..:) She did have her own pc setup with Suse but that pc finally bit the dust and well ya know no room and no desire to get a new one. Probably get myself a nice alienware laptop soon though..

Alienware :wink: If I had the money I would get one of those with the crazy blue! Or a new G5 17" laptop if they come out?

"If I had the money" = There in lies the problem, I have none :(

I have 6 box's at home now, though and my wife says it's enough.

1 is her's so I don't touch it :oops:

1 is a work laptop that just sit's there since I have a few box's at work.

1 is a p200 :evil: old!

1 well you see my specs bellow

1 SparcStation

1 HP-UX station (180)

But the greedy man insid e me alway's wants more :wink:

Dual Opteron box would be a nice additon with that crazy blue case I posted yesterday! Stupid money, alway's getting in the way with realality! :cheeky::cheeky: