Ssh port-forwarding options

ramfree17

Hi,

I need urgent help on ssh. I need to export the display of a server into the local workstation (cygwin). The problem is that in order to access that server, we need to ssh first to another server which will act as a bridge since the server we need to access is on another network that doesnt allow communications from our present location. Can somebody provide me step-by-step (treat me as an idiot if you will) instructions on how this can be done?

any help on getting this done would be greatly appreciated. I have already wasted half a day with the -L and -R options of ssh and still cant figure it out.

thanks!

you should be able to ssh into it, when you're on that box,

DISPLAY=<ipaddress>:0

export DISPLAY

and then run any apps from that ssh session that you want on the local box. as long as that system can send information out if it's network on the X11 port, and can connect to your IP, this should work just fine. if the other system isn't allowed to communicate to the internet at all, well, what kind level of access do you have on this bridged system?

maybe doing the DISPLAY, export combination on the bridge machine(using your IP) and then DISPLAY, export on the actual remote machine (giving the bridge machines IP) might work...?

if it does work, i think i'll call it the hop, skip, and a jump method...

i had that idea before but it doesnt work (must be because the bridge server doesnt have any X components but i might be wrong). ssh has an option of rediirecting the traffic from local to remote and vice versa (-L and -R options). my understanding was this will enable me to *tunnel* a connection to the machine whose display I want to export. I just figure out how and the manpages is not that clear.

or did i misread the whole shebang? :?

ciao!

(must be because the bridge server doesnt have any X components but i might be wrong)
no, your right. with no X server on the bridge it won't accept incoming X-server connections, as, well, there's no X server to accept them!

I didn't realize that, otherwise I would have kept my mouth shut ;-) (because that was my only idea!)

now i want to test my theory...need 3 linux boxes tho...hmmm....

hehehe, not a problem tYME. at least your suggestion might prove useful to some other user in the future. :#:

i have a little confession to make, there is no linux in this scenario. I am talking to two solaris machines :twisted: . i only realized that i may have posted to the wrong forum. I know I was debating to put this in networking or security since it involves ssh but i cant figure out why i posted it in software. :? :huh:

ciao!

:mystilol:

now only if the evil mod :tm: did his job and moved this thread to whatever forum it fits... do i have to keep a watch on you guys all the time? :evil:

ciao!

Stop moaning Grandson or i will give you the ability to move it yourself, whether you like it or not :evil:

Its now here in networking, if you complain, you will be made a mod :lol:

now only if the evil mod :tm: did his job and moved this thread to whatever forum it fits... do i have to keep a watch on you guys all the time? :evil:
well you had made no commitment to where you wanted it to be...and i certainly was clueless!! :-P

]and solaris is not a linux distribution... :P

boy, i say, boy, learn to read, boy. that's what i said, ya hear? now, now, now my point was, boy, that it's not mandrake linux, see? :-P

Stop moaning Grandson or i will give you the ability to move it yourself, whether you like it or not :evil:

Its now here in networking, if you complain, you will be made a mod :lol:

i would have kept my mouth shut but would like to warn you that paul wouldnt really like it if you did. ;)

boy, i say, boy, learn to read, boy. that's what i said, ya hear? now, now, now my point was, boy, that it's not mandrake linux, see?

yup, but it isnt a distro either. :P

ciao!