newb hardware question

Guest pipplo

Probably the silliest newb question...but i'm learning

I downloaded this driver for my modem, and it has an install script, however when i restart /dev/modem doesn't exist anymore..

how can I setup so that my modem is there when start my computer...?

I'm not sure what to do so i don't have to run this file everytime.

Thanks in advance....

### contents of install_it/ ###

/sbin/insmod -m ./esscom.o > esscomdriver.map

rm /dev/essmodem >/dev/null

mknod /dev/essmodem c 127 1

rm /dev/modem >/dev/null

ln -s /dev/essmodem /dev/modem

### end contents ###

I probably should not be giving advise since I am an extreme newbie (just installed Linux for the first time this weekend), but the problem you are having seems to be the same problem that I was having with my network card. They instructed me to use the insmod command on my driver (like your script does), but that only installs the module into the running kernel.

Anyway, try adding the module name to the text file /etc/modules, which lists modules to load whne the systems starts. It looks like yours module name will be esscom (the .o file without the .o extension).

Try that and see if it works. Like I said, I was in the same situation with my Ethernet card, and it worked for me.

Zete

Well, if you want to be quick and dirty about it.. edit a file named /etc/rc.d/rc.local and copy and paste the entire command at the end. It will run those commands during restart so you don't have to do it again and again. Of course you can just add the name of the install script into that file too and it does the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

any non quick and dirty ways?

What happens is I need /dev/modem to be created everytime i boot up. And i need users to be able to run a ppp connection script

which if i run the install_it script as root, then logon as "joe" it says i don't have access privleges to /dev/modem