Can I add to partition size for my /home dir?

Guest jtaylr77

Guest jtaylr77

When I first set up partitions I only made my /home dir 500MB and the root 7 gig as well as a 500MB swap. My problem is that when I try to install wine I run out of space during the make install. I tried to use another folder in the filetree that is associated with the 7 gig but I could never get wine to work at all. It could never find the file it needed. Would this even help my problem?

Well, if you know where the folder is that wine is accessing, lets say..

/home/userdir/.wine (just making it up)

Let's say you have a second 7 gig partition located at hdc10 (for example)

1. Backup your .wine folder as it exists..

2. delete the .wine folder.

3. Mount the partition into the file system tree starting at the .wine folder.

mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda10 /home/userdir/.wine

Now if you go to the .wine folder, you will have all 7 gig available as of that point.

You can update your /etc/fstab file to automount it for you so you can forget it.

You can also backup your existing partitions and then destroy your entire drive and recreate all the partitions with new sizes. I did that recently just to make some major changes..

Guest dardack

I just made one whole partition for root and nothing else partioned so everything was on one partion so my home wouldn't run out of space. No idea if this would work, couldn't you back up your home directory to the root partition, put in Mandrake disk one, repartition root down in size (decrease the size) delete your home partition, with the new size plus the old 500mb (theoretically unless you've filled up the 7 gigs you should have a couple gigs that you can free up) create a new /home partition with the full size. reboot without going through the install, log back in and put everything you backed up back into your home directory and try again? no idea just a guess.

If you know a Windows computer with Partition Magic, you can use it to make a DOS Floppy disc, which will enable you to resize all partitions. I think there are also GNU/Linux mini-distros which you can put on disk for the same purpose. Or CD-based ones like knoppix which I think include these sort of tools though I could be wrong.

Before you start messing around with partitions though, back up your data!

If you know a Windows computer with Partition Magic, you can use it to make a DOS Floppy disc, which will enable you to resize all partitions. I think there are also GNU/Linux mini-distros which you can put on disk for the same purpose. Or CD-based ones like knoppix which I think include these sort of tools though I could be wrong.

Before you start messing around with partitions though, back up your data!

Yeah I double that backup. Resizing filesystems like Ext3, and ReiserFS is dangerous! I did it once, with Partition Magic, Yes i survived, however there are huge risks involved,

As for the CD based distro. There is SuSE live eval, There are ISOs out there.

And i tried to compile Wine from install once. I needed 800-900mb of space. Me? personally i had a /compile directory for such things. Now i can't be bothered waiting a few hours for it to compile when i can get daily RPMs from

http://wine.dataparty.no/

And I don't use it now. I don't need it. I now as of last weekend proudly own a Linux system with all Open Source software and No M$ Winblows or any Windex programs.

James