RH 9, Gnome, Installing themes.

I download the theme into a directory that I made. I go into the menu and click on the themes to change themes. Click on install theme, point to the theme I downloaded, click ok and install, only thing is it doesn't install. I can never find it or see it. What am I doing wrong. I leave the seem in the .tar.gz condition like the instructions say to.

Could someone give me a step by step directions. I did use the help icon when I tried to install, did it just like it said to, but still get the same result.

Thanks

FX

Paul once reported that he had to log out and back in for the new themes to show up in the gnome-theme-manager after installing them, but I don't believe it was mandrake and even so it shouldn't be necessary.

When you either drag and drop or browse to a theme in a compressed format the gnome-theme-manager uncompressed it to ~/.themes or ~./icons. First, see if they are there. If they are, make sure the same theme isn't already in /usr/share/themes or /usr/share/icons. This will sometimes cause them to not show up, OR, show up and not work. Because of past install issues with the gnome-theme-manager I always install them myself to either ~/.themes and ~/.icons (usr specific), or /usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons (global). Also make sure that if it requires its own gtk-engine that it is installed , and that it doesn't require ./configure, make, make install.

I've alway's had to go into themes/details/install theme, close out of the app and go back into see the theme, most of the time it only shows up under detail & not in the main window in RH.

Guest mkbiyer

the best way is to use the gnome menu -> desktop preferences -> themes -> install theme option (& then exit themes & start it again !!!)

alternatively, you can untar the theme tar.gz file in /usr/share/themes & then use the above menu option to change theme