MCC startup Problem

Guest linuxcraze

Guest linuxcraze

hi, i have installed mandriva 2008 on the laptop which become 2008.1 after updates. on the grub screen i get some kernel version plus laptop.md something. well last night i installed few programs on the machine while following the howtoforge perfect desktop guide. i also removed the perl 5.8 and installed 5.10.

Now i cant access MCC at all. i used /usr/bin/drakconf and from drop down menu from user account and root account as well but to no vail. on the grub screen i get some differnet kernel versions which i started and try to access MCC but still nothing. Actullay any of the options that require root password does not work. :wall:

i think it has something to do with perl version. if you thinks so please guide me how to remove the 5.10 and install the one which came with the shipment.

I could nt find anything related to my problem in forums.

thanks in advance

Welcome aboard.

1. please do not post the same issue in more than one forum-section. Thanks. :)

2. can you please post here what you get as an error message (if there is any) when you want to run e.g. the mcc from a terminal?

[root@localhost]# mcc

This will perhaps give us more information on what causes your problem. Also: check with an editor like vi or nano the /var/log/messages file for error messages.

It'd probably be easier for you to clean install and start from afresh, since there will be a lot of packages that are relying on perl. You could force downgrading the rpm if you installed by rpm, but it would probably cause you more headaches in the long run.

i have installed mandriva 2008 on the laptop which become 2008.1 after updates.

How did you upgrade from 2008.0 to 2008.1?

See this page for the correct procedure to use to upgrade Mandriva, using urpmi:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi/Upgrade

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508