One more dumbie who can't get internet connect sharing

dalee

Hi,

I'm not having any luck getting 2 Mandrake 9.0 boxes to share a connection. I've been over every post in this forum that might even pertain to my problem, plus googled till I'm blind :evil: .

My nics are working, I've run ifconfig, and it shows them up and running. I can ping the IP addy's shown by ifconfig to my hearts content. The firewall is down. But still no sharing of the internet :( .

Hardware is - Box1: internal hardmodem and nic as eth0/dhcp/up

Box2: 2 nics eth0/dhcp/up (on board nic), eth1/static/down (am tring to use eth0 for lan)

D-link 5-Port Switch

Both boxes are running Mandrake 9.0

Any ideas or things I need to read? More info needed?

Thanks,

dalee

just clarify: which system is connecting to the internet? and does that system have the internet?

somewhere in mandrake control center there is an internet connection sharing tool, have you tried using that?

Hi,

Box1 is the one connected to the internet by modem. It works perfectly. I'm posting from it now.

Box2 is the client. Box2 has 2 nics because I thought the on-board nic wasn't maybe working right. So I installed the other to see if it would make a difference. No luck there either. I just haven't reopened the box to remove it yet. I've run the internet connection sharing Wizard numerious times with no luck. Acutally, I must take that back, it did work once for about 30 seconds. Then it quit and hasn't worked since.

The exact hardware is Box1: Rockwell Hardmodem on com2, and a D-Link DFE-530TX+. Box2 has an IBM onboard nic chipset and a D-Link DFE-530TX+. They are connected by a D-Link DSS-5+ switch.

ifconfig output Box1: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:BA:5E:84:4D

inet addr:192.168.1.251 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:1818 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:2085 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:161062 (157.2 Kb) TX bytes:362930 (354.4 Kb)

Interrupt:12 Base address:0x3000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:27317 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:27317 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:5425634 (5.1 Mb) TX bytes:5425634 (5.1 Mb)

ifconfig output Box2: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:E2:10:2E:A4

inet addr:192.168.1.252 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:977 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:1039 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:4 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:122232 (119.3 Kb) TX bytes:72301 (70.6 Kb)

Interrupt:5 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:4941 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:4941 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:409581 (399.9 Kb) TX bytes:409581 (399.9 Kb)

I must apologize, my post was pretty thin for info. It was pretty late here when I decided I was over my head and wrote it.

If you need more let me know.

Thanks,

dalee

hi,

Mdk9.1 when installing a internet connection server, install a DHCP server and DNS server too.

I've just noticed that DHCP Wizard does _not_ create any /etc/dhcpd.conf file at all !

So the DHCP server does not work so the internet connection sharing does not works as well.

Check on MCC->System->Services (or something like that) if dhcpd service is running.

If not you will have to make your dhcpd.conf file yourself or find one. Just ask i can send you the one i got from my home box witch is quite generic and works.

So:

1- set the DHCP server and check the local network

2- run DrakeGw, expert mode concerning the network setup

That should do it

hope this help

roland

Hi roland.

I do have dhcp.config files, but if you would pm me with a copy of yours I would be most grateful!

I looked at mine last night, and compared them. They were different so I made them match, and added a gateway address (for box1, the server) to my client box (box2). At that point I could ping from the client (box2) to box1 (server) anytime. But not from box1 to box2 ( it errored out telling me the network was unreachable). Plus, I could at that point ping out to yahoo from box2, but get nothing back (I had the details window open on kppp so I could see it). Now today, I can't ping out to yahoo from box2, but I can still ping box1 from there (and still am not able to ping from box1 to box2. Network is still unreachable). Changed nothing but boot them up. The settings are still the same it looks like.

I suspect I've really mucked things up good now I bet

:shock:

I'm sorry it takes me so long to reply back, but I only get a few minutes a day to mess with this.

Thank You very much!

dalee

I do have dhcp.config files, but if you would pm me with a copy of yours I would be most grateful!

dalee

done

i've just installed the internet server at the office it is all fresh.

here how i do:

- first set and check internet connection on the server

- second set and check the local network (dhcp, samba ?)

- third run DrakeGw expert mode (manualy)

!!!!! careful: maximize the windows: sometime there are too little on MCC tools and you can't see some buttons !!!!!!!!

it must do the job

I'm sorry it takes me so long to reply back, but I only get a few minutes a day to mess with this.  

dalee

i know what it is.

except those days: wife and children all gone for a holyday week 8)

even if sometime they miss :?

by roland

The firewall is down. But still no sharing of the internet :( .  

Well, that's your problem. You need an IP masquerading rule, and Mandrake uses shorewall for this.

So, if you turn the firewall on, you should have your internet connection sharing working.

If you need to access the box the ICS is on, you can (until you get the hang of shorewall rules) turn the policy for masq->fw and fw->masq to accept by editing /etc/shorewall/policy and restarting shorewall.

The firewall is down. But still no sharing of the internet :( .  

Well, that's your problem. You need an IP masquerading rule, and Mandrake uses shorewall for this.

So, if you turn the firewall on, you should have your internet connection sharing working.

If you need to access the box the ICS is on, you can (until you get the hang of shorewall rules) turn the policy for masq->fw and fw->masq to accept by editing /etc/shorewall/policy and restarting shorewall.

Right! Turn Shorewall on, that should solve your problem.

MOttS

Hi,

I think I see where the problem is now. I did a reinstall on both systems ( niether had any important data). I setup ICS with Drakgw and it worked until I rebooted the server to see if it was going to hold. What I've found by looking at services was that Shorewall didn't start. So I did shorewall clear, then shorewall start and it errored out telling me: shorewall start

Processing /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf ...

Processing /etc/shorewall/params ...

Starting Shorewall...

Loading Modules...

Initializing...

Determining Zones...

Zones: net masq loc

Validating interfaces file...

Error: Duplicate Interface eth0

So where did the dupicate eth0 come from? And how do I make it go away?

I looked at the files in shorewall before I rebooted, (shoulda made backups :( ). And nothing seems to have changed.

Another question. Do I need dhcprelay running on the server too? That also refuses to start.

Thanks for being patient with me. You guys have been teaching me a lot so far.

dalee

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I did get the internet connection sharing to work finally. I ended up removing and reinstalling the dhcp stuff and shorewall. Then reran everything.

Many thanks to you guys for helping me! You even managed to teach this old dog a couple of new things.

Now onto filesharing! :D

dalee