How to tell what device is on /dev/videoX

RVDowning

Anyone know how to tell what Bus/Device or ID is associated with /dev/video0, or /dev/video1, etc ? I'm having trouble getting my cams set up right, where one cam is usb1 and one is usb2 and they use different programs either as servers or to get snapshots.

Try typing:

dmesg

after connecting the device, you'll see something in there - as I always do when I connect a USB device. dmesg is different to checking /var/log/messages.

If You have example WebCam, tv card Mandriva set during start system WebCam as /dev/video0, TV card /dev/video1. If You unconnect Web Cam USB card TV is /dev/video0

I do not know whether about this it walked?. ....Lex

Hmmm. I'll have to check this. I think my problems have been due to devices not always coming up on the same /dev/videoX

I have two webcams that are usb attached. One is usb 1.0 and the other is usb 2.0, so there are two different programs that are used to get snapshots and to publish them to my web page. Originally I think that the usb 2.0 cam came up on video0 and the usb 1.0 cam came up on video1. But I don't think they always come up the same way, and when the order is reversed the applications to get the snapshots don't work.

I have to specify the correct videoX as an input parameter to the programs.

• 4 weeks later...

I currently don't have my Mandriva machine accessible, but if I remember correctly you should be able to look into the /proc directory to find which device is using which /dev/videoX.

It is either in /proc/devices/... or in /proc/video/devices.

I'll check when I get home and post a more clear link.