rar files

3lade

urpmi unrar

assuming you have done your urpmi resources setup (see config page on my site)

and while you're at it:

urpmi unace

usage:

unrar e file.rar

or

unrar x file.rar

On a side note, since I like to download and keep the rpm's that get installed, I use:

urpmi --noclean programnamehere

then I can find the rpm's in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/ in case I want to install them on another pc or burn them to discs I pass to friends who don't have broadband (together with Mdk9.1 install discs, so they have all they need).

then I can find the rpm's in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/ in case I want to install them on another pc or burn them to discs I pass to friends who don't have broadband (together with Mdk9.1 install discs, so they have all they need).
and my updates CD with the horrible README file that I need to change, of course! (check the downloads section ;-) )

I have managed to install the unrar rpm from plf and got it to work from the konsole. I just like my gui interface and wondered about getting ark to do the job for me (thats why I have a mouse, or so Mr. Gates led me to believe)

No offence tyme but I tried your download update cd and it kept pausing on me and not completing. :cry:

Hmm, so ark doesn't find your unrar binary..?

Maybe there is a way to configure ark, where you can indicate the location of the binary.

To find the location: which unrar

or

whereis unrar

Maybe ark has a config file in your homedir, .ark

Personally, I don't know, I have never used it...

• 1 month later...
Guest jerome187
urpmi unrar

assuming you have done your urpmi resources setup (see config page on my site)

and while you're at it:

urpmi unace

usage:

unrar e file.rar

or

unrar x file.rar

On a side note, since I like to download and keep the rpm's that get installed, I use:

urpmi --noclean programnamehere

I'm using mandrake 9.1 and urpmi unrar or unace dosent work. are there any rpm's aviable for 9.1 so i can unpack rar files? unace isnt important to me, just unrar.

Content of RPM unrar-3.20-1plf.i586.rpm :

/usr/bin/unrar

/usr/share/doc/unrar-3.20

/usr/share/doc/unrar-3.20/license.txt

/usr/share/doc/unrar-3.20/readme.txt

Description :

The unrar program is used to uncompress .rar format archives, which were somewhat popular on DOS based machines.

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?idpl=57293...f.i586.rpm.html

You want this one from the download section for 9.1, there is 3 to choose from there.

ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/plf.zarb.org/p...0-1plf.i586.rpm

I'm using mandrake 9.1 and urpmi unrar or unace dosent work. are there any rpm's aviable for 9.1 so i can unpack rar files? unace isnt important to me, just unrar.

In order to have urpmi do it for you, you have to have the ftp source setup, and updated first. :D