Network Card and Sound Not Working [solved]

Guest Rift

Hi. I'm new to Mandriva, and pretty much Linux overall. I recently installed Mandriva 2008.1 Spring using a One LiveCD I burned on my ASUS X52SA laptop (it's pretty much the same as the F3SA model).

The installation went without a hitch but I found 2 things that didn't work out of the box.

When I tried configuring the network options, it listed my card as Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet (on my Vista OS, it's listed as Atheros, but I just found out they're the same thing anyway). But when I tried to configure it, it said that it couldn't detect the network interface (using atl1 driver). Is this a driver issue, or something else?

Another problem is that I don't get any sound on Mandriva. None at all. I have Realtek High Definition Audio on my system.

Please lend me your guidance. :)

Nope. I checked KMix and set all the sliders to max but still nothing.

Edit: I just managed to fix the sound problem. Added ¨options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo¨ to modprobe.conf and now it works like a charm! Now that just leaves me the Ethernet controller problem to deal with.

Edited by Rift

Open a console and post the output of:

$ lspci

That will list everything on your pci bus from which you can determine exactly what ethernet controller you have. By the way, I assume you are trying to configure a wired connection. I generally associated atheros with wireless cards which made me wonder.

Add a line

alias eth0 atl1

to your /etc/modprobe.conf, and if necessary preload "atl1" module.

Should work, although I haven't heard the best of things about the stability of this driver.

Plus, if the kmix switches aren't right switch from "model-lenovo" to "model=uniwill-m31" and see if it gets any better. Defining the right model/codec for the stupid Azalia chips is always quite bothersome, even if you do know the exact chipset/codec under windoze...

Edited by scarecrow

By the way, I assume you are trying to configure a wired connection. I generally associated atheros with wireless cards which made me wonder.

Yeah, I came across a lot of complaints about the wireless one while trying to find a solution for my problem. Most people had their wireless not working whereas mine was the other way around, so I found that odd lol.

Add a line

alias eth0 atl1

to your /etc/modprobe.conf, and if necessary preload "atl1" module.

Should work, although I haven't heard the best of things about the stability of this driver.

Ok, that did the trick. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Rift