GCC optimization for Athlon-xp

johnnyv

I saw a posting on pclinuxonline about optimisations for athlon-xp.

It is really good, this guy Jeffrey ended up with a 47% increase in speed with either:

-march=athlon-xp -O3 -ffast-math -malign-double -funroll-loops -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

or

-march=athlon-xp -O3 -ffast-math -malign-double -funroll-loops -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -msse -mfpmath=sse,387

The article shows what results he got for the different optimisations.

http://home.comcast.net/~jcunningham63/lin...timization.html

Very soon i will have two athlon xp's at home so i will be able to use one for rebuilding most of the time while still being able to play on a fast system :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Im using the optimizations for my Linux from scratch, but i have a Pentium 3. so i made a couple of changes, here is how i do it

$ export CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -msse -mfpmath=sse"

$ CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

(the $ is your....that.)

But be aware, when you optimize a program --depending on what you do-- it may or may not work on another PC, so if you are thinking on cross compiling, read the instructions..

Another warning, as you see i renamed de -march flag to my corresponding procesor, also i took off -malign-double becouse it implies some things that may make a loss of performance, so read carefully the GCC_Optimization document posted above....

And last but not least, this flags, at least for what i know (and thats not much!) are only for compiling programs from SOURCE, not already compiled (like RPM or Debian or whatever kind of "package"), generally, you get sources in a "whatever.tar.gz" or "whatever2.tar.bz2" then you decompress it and compile it...

well hope it helps a bit

cya around

Guest boonders

Mdk is already optizimed very well.

I used to run Gentoo and plently of progams still ran faster in Mdk than in Gentoo with very aggressive compiler flags.

KDE was especially slower, even with piping on.

About the only thing I optimize in Mdk is the kernel, I cut alot of the fat out, more customized for my system, usually boots in about 1/2 to 3/4 of the time.

And I'd be sceptical of most people who say they have 50% increases in performance for optimizations. They must have compiled it with i386 flags and no optimizations and then with aggressive optimizations. As compared to Mdk optimizations and than your own optimizations (which could be slower than mdks)

Guest chuck

I gotta agree with boonders. I ran Gentoo (v1.4 RC4 3stages) for a couple months, then went back to Mandrake 9.1. Mandrake is every bit as responsive as Gentoo was. I'm running decent( +/-) hardware, AthlonXP 2000+ with 512MB DDR333, and ripping ogg's is as painfully slow as any other disto. Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me why WinXP rips mp3's so quick? Is it some hidden API's or such?

I saw a posting on pclinuxonline about optimisations for athlon-xp.

It is really good, this guy Jeffrey ended up with a 47% increase in speed with either:

-march=athlon-xp -O3 -ffast-math -malign-double -funroll-loops -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

or

-march=athlon-xp -O3 -ffast-math -malign-double -funroll-loops -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -msse -mfpmath=sse,387

The article shows what results he got for the different optimisations.

http://home.comcast.net/~jcunningham63/lin...timization.html

Very soon i will have two athlon xp's at home so i will be able to use one for rebuilding most of the time while still being able to play on a fast system :D

I saw that same article and tried those flags in Gentoo and it kept crocking on the intsall. The only thing I could see was:

-march=athlon-xp it didn't like.

I used

-mcpu=athlon-xp instead and it worked fine.