LFS: Glibc compiling error and partition problem

Hello!

Well, this is whats going on:

I did all my homework by the book with LFS 4.1 and got to the part

of chroot and compiling the pre-final system.

When i get to compile Glibc-2.3.1, i get the following error.

a - elf/dl-sym.o

/static/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ar: libc.a: No space left on device

make[1]: *** [/glibc-build/libc.a] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/glibc-2.3.1'

make: *** [all] Error 2

So i did some research --google--, about what was libc.a and a No space left error.

I found out that its a lack of space in the partition (as No space left on device sugested :-) but! i dont understood why.

I mean, the first time i started building the LFS, i got more or less to this point, and the same thing happend, but with a different type of error that led me to the same conclusion as now. This was becouse i made a 1GB partition, wich obviously wasnt enough, then i decided to erase that partittion, and make a new 3GB one, where i installed this new LFS.

Now, when i realised this was another harddrive space problem, i went to the /mnt/lfs (where i mounted it) and chequed its size... its ONE GB!!!

And i dont understand why!, i went to MCC, and chequed with DiskDrake in Mount Points.

It says 3GB, so, i think im missing something when the mounting thing starts up, and setup the partition, there must be a problem with the cylinders or whatever that makes my 3gb partition behave as a 1gb one.

Does anyone know how to fix this without making me redo al the LFS thing again??

How are the partitions layed out. If you gave then all mount points in mcc just post the output of

[root@localhost home]# df -h

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda8             4.9G  1.9G  3.1G  38% /

/dev/hda9             793M   34M  759M   5% /home

/dev/hda1             8.2G  6.1G  2.1G  75% /mnt/c

/dev/hda6             4.9G  2.2G  2.5G  47% /mnt/rh

/dev/hda10            4.9G  1.9G  2.7G  42% /mnt/rh2

/dev/hda7             1.8G   96M  1.6G   6% /mnt/rhhome

/dev/hda12            2.5G  106M  2.4G   5% /mnt/share

/dev/hdb7             3.8G  2.0K  3.8G   1% /mnt/winbkup

/dev/hdb6             3.7G  1.8G  2.0G  48% /mnt/xbkup

[root@localhost home]#

Well diskdrake is your problem.I had a similar thing happen. I told it to shrink a Fat32 partition and create a new partition from the empty space made. It didn't resize the partition. So outside of DIskDrake my hdd looked like this. OVERLAPPING.

|      HDA1          Fat32        2.9gb    || hda6 Ext3 2gb || Swap 200mb || hda8 950mb |

| HDA5 Ext3 900mb |

In the end i just removed those partitions in diskdrake, created them again in diskdrake, and then ran mkfs.ext3 and mkfs.vfat at a command line on the appropriate partitions.

I think mkfs will also wipe anything on the partition you run it on so backup before

I think your only way of fixing this is to backup those partitions, wipe em, recreate em.

Or you can continue with LFS on a 1gb partition, that's what i've done. I've even got X and Fluxbox on it.

It might be a good idea to get a second opinion before you try anything i said. There might be another way.

Keep it up with the LFS,

James

Thnx for everything

now, bvc here is df -h

[root@localhost lfs]# df -h

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hdb1             1.5G  466M  935M  34% /

/dev/hdb8             3.4G  964M  2.3G  30% /down

/dev/hdb7             3.9G  2.8G  1.2G  72% /home

/dev/hda5             3.8G  1.7G  1.9G  47% /mnt/hda5

/dev/hda7             2.4G  268M  2.1G  12% /mnt/hda7

/dev/hdb9             1.1G  642M  377M  64% /mnt/lfs                  <--- problem;-)

/dev/hda1             7.6G  7.1G  548M  93% /mnt/windows

/dev/hdb6             2.9G  2.3G  539M  81% /usr

[root@localhost lfs]#

As you see, it says 1.1, when DiskDrake says 3gb, so i guess rcxau is right and DiskDrake is malfuncioning.

If there is no solution, and i havce to delete and redo the LFS partition, can i backup (copy) everything to another partition, make a reiserfs one and move everything to that one?

Its just that i read a thread about the advantages and cons of each and i think RFS is a good try, so, if i make a partition and format it as RFS i think there is no problem on wich filesystem was .. i mean, i can move it to RFS without recompiling or having any problems?

Anyway, i would prefer to get my 2gb missing back without having to do all that.[/b]

Yes you 'should' be able to mv the data, but there's always a risk of a file not being copied etc.... When in diskdrake, visually with your own eyes, does it look like 3gb or 1 when compared to other partitions? Sometimes (I always do) when telling diskdrake to 'format' you have to do it twice...2 times in a row. In other words, tell it to format, and when it's done tell it to format again.

Hi,

well, im making some progress now, im deleting 'real time' the sources so i save some space.

about:

When in diskdrake, visually with your own eyes, does it look like 3gb or 1 when compared to other partitions?

When was 1gb sized it was smaller, now its like 3 times its size, so i guess its well represented, what i didnt do, was rerun the format command.

crappy diskdrake... there isnt something i can do to make it 'know' to the system that is a 3gb part. or to make DD see its a 1gb... i dont know what the heck is it... it should be a 3gb one.

Well i havent found a solution yet. :evil: :x :cry: :(

But i made the 'base' install of LFS... :twisted: 8) :lol:

Anyway, i still want those 2gb missing back, So, what to do, what to do??

Im thinking about the copy and reformat stuff, but i really dont want to do that...

but if i have to...

then: im going to format the new partition with ReiserFS, so, when i copy my LFS system back to the partition, modify the fstab of all my linuxs, modify lilo, what else do i do?

I mean, i know the kernel has to have reiserfs support, and that since 2.4.x they do, but, when i get to compile the kernel, real soon, do i have to add an extra option or it will by default?

What i want to know, is that if i copy the system just like it was compiled on the first partition will i have to make any other changes than the above (modify the fstab of all my linuxs, modify lilo)...... :?