Installing RPM, Checkinstall and Mozilla Firebird on my LFS

Before anyone says anything i'm installing RPM on my LFS to use with Check install.

What are the prerequisites for RPM?

What are the prerequisites for checkinstall?

What are the prerequisites for Mozilla Firebird? Same as mozilla?

James

mozilla firebird comes as a binary. most likely, just downloading it and extracting it to the necessary directory will get it working just fine.

dunno 'bout the other two.

mozilla firebird comes as a binary.  most likely, just downloading it and extracting it to the necessary directory will get it working just fine.

dunno 'bout the other two.

actually you can build moz-firebird from source. if you so desire. the dependencies should be the same as moz.

well it *may* give you slightly better performance but ultimately it gives you the control over where moz-firebird installs to ( i recommend /opt)

edit as for dependencies of thos other apps: search freshmeat or the homepage of the apps it should be clarified there.

well it *may* give you slightly better performance but ultimately it gives you the control over where moz-firebird installs to ( i recommend /opt)
hmm...which method are you talking about? the prebuild binaries or compiling?

because with the binaries, you can place the firebird dir. anywhere and then make a link in say /usr/bin pointing to the startup file...

and it's anywhere you want......?

I'm probably missing the point totallyhere, but on my work PC I just extracted the binaries of Firebird and ran it, seems to work ok. But my home PC it picked up a Firebird RPM from texstar or something, this did feel to work faster.

sure but symlinking is a filthy way of doing it.
it's either that or add the entire firebird directory to your PATH. or create a desktop icon pointing to the executable.

either way, /usr/bin exists for a reason.

but since you can put the firebird dir and files anywhere you want, you can put them in /opt if you'd like. you don't have to compile if from source, is what I'm saying. maybe save some time?

I actually have the latest build of firebird (20030711) running. I normally just extract it to /usr/local/ and i already have symlinks to it in /usr/bin/

It's very stable, hasn't crashed. it's great.

I'm not sure what i was goint to do with my LFS, compile it from source like everything else? or use a prebuilt. Probably prebuilt as it's easier to update.

Thanks

James