spell checker in Perl? with Aspell?

Guest quakey

Guest quakey

Hi,

I want to check spelling of a word in Perl and how do I do that? I wanted to use Aspell but it doesn't seem to have a command-line mode that would just check a word and tells if the word is spell correctly or not.

I looked at the Aspell options, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do things like:

aspell "checkthisword"

in the command-line and return something telling me if the word is spelled correctly. It does take in a file and check the words but it also goes into a "screen" that display more options than I need. Am I missing something here?

Thank you.

You can use aspell to check a word or list from STDIN like this:

echo "luzer" | aspell -l

If the word is spelled correctly, it returns nothing. If it is spelled incorrectly, it returns the word. No suggestions at all as to how to spell it, though.

Also you can just do

aspell -l [hit enter]

[type a bunch of words here and hit Ctrl-D when you are done. It only returns the words that are spelled incorrectly. Once again, no suggestions]

Steve's usage sounds like just what you need - just an indication that it is spelled correctly. To comment on the " No suggestions at all as to how to spell it, though. ", there is an option in ispell, so I imagine aspell has it:

terry@timestorm: /home/terry

21:45:56 $ echo "loooser luzer lazer atari linux" | ispell -a

@(#) International Ispell Version 3.2.06 08/01/01

& loooser 1 0: looser

& luzer 2 8: luger, lurer

& lazer 15 14: blazer, gazer, glazer, hazer, lacer, lager, laker, lamer, laser, later, layer, lazed, lazier, mazer, razer

& atari 1 20: Atari

& linux 2 26: Linus, Linux

Note that it will show you proper capitalization, too