alternate user can't get any sound

Guest squidge

Guest squidge

I like Mandriva so far, except I'm having one problem I hope someone can guide me through. I set up my sound ok on the "guest" session, but when I set up another user and went into that session, I have no sound, and it says I don't have "permission" to set up the sound. Why should an alternate user need permission to have sound, and how can I fix it? I kept looking for some setting that would "affect all users" or something to that effect, but found nothing. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Since posting this I've gone back and gotten the full error message. When I switch to the alternate user session, I get:

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Permission denied)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Edited by squidge

Guest squidge

I've now figured out THAT problem, and managed to get sound for the alternate user. But I only get system event sounds, but not movies or music. Of course I should turn up the PCM on my mixer, except... KMIX says "mixer cannot be found"! KMIX is just fine on the guest user side, but doesn't function for my alternate user. Help!

From your description I gather you are booting from a live disc, if this is so then there are limitations on what you can do with the accounts that you set up. It is not the same as having the operating system installed on the machine. Although I am not all that clued up on the live version of mandriva I would think this may be the root of your problems.

If you are booting from an installed version that's a different matter. It would appear that your sound system is not set up correctly.

A bit more information on your set-up would help us get things going for you.

Welcome to MUB by the way.

Guest squidge

Yes, I'm running a live version from a usb, so I guess that's the problem.

Here's the thing: my whole reason for having a live usb is to be able to do backups, restore, change things, etc. in the event windoze crashes or something. But I'm finding I can't write anything to the C drive, or even to my external hard drive, because I don't have permission. (This isn't just in the alternate user session; this is across the board) When I enter the properties menu for a drive and try to change these permissions, it won't let me. Is there ANY way to change permissions under a live session so that I can have write capability over my other drives? Other live linux distros like Puppy and Slax will let you, but I don't like those. I really like the features of Mandriva, but it's worthless to me if I can't have total control over my entire system from the live session. Possible or no?

As far as I am aware of the answer is no. When you think about it if you were able to do such a thing then anybody with a USB key could come along and wipe your entire system. Ouch. You should be able to carry out limited settings and things within your user account, but that is about all. What gets set-up by the system you boot up with is what you get, for the afore mentioned reason.

Unless anybody knows different that's how it is.