ppp and LAN conflict in Mandrake 9.x

Guest Mac

Can anyone help me with this - I'm feeling dumber by the minute. I've got Mandrake 9.1 on my laptop and normally connect to internet by cable modem. Here in Costa Rica my computer must use a private IP 10.x.x.x and connect through the cable company's gateway/NAT device. If the cable is down or I take the laptop on the road and try to dial in I can connect with the modem but nothing is found - as if I'm stuck with the cable gateway. I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried changing the internet connection by way of Mandrake Control Center netdrake - or whatever. I've tried linuxconf. I've searched google groups - where I found 'route del default route add default dev ppp0' which I tried but which didn't help. Finally I had to boot into my long unused windows partition so I could check my email. What an embarassment! Anyone else had (and hopefully solved) this problem. Also had this problem with Mdk 9.0.

Thanks,

Mac

The internet connection Wizard needs a few tweeks, I got myself in a mess too.

You could try creatiing a new profile ... in the Wizard it starts off by copying the old one.

Then you can set one fort LAN access and the other for ppp.

However .... I had problems getting rid of pppoe once it was installed or going the other way from LAN.

In order to get rid of the pppoe stuff (when I was connected directly to my DSL via eth0) I had to deinstall and resinstall all the pppoe packages. I'm sure theres a config file somewhere to be deleted but I couldn't find it.... It just wouldn't let me choose LAN.

Anyway., Im presuming at the moment it won't go from LAN to PPP so a similar strategy might work. Get rid of ppp, set your lan access and then create a new profile (PPP???)

Then select the new profile and choose to configure the PPP connection ....

Doesn't sound like you have much to mess up. Neither did I :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out my problem is with the shorewall firewall. For some reason that is beyond my knowledge it won't let the ppp connection work as long as it's up. When I brought shorewall down it starting working just fine.

While trying to implement your suggestion I found no way to add or remove a profile (I'm using 9.1) and I recall this being very easy in 9.0. Any ideas what happened to it? Or did I not install something?

Anyway thanks very much.

Thad