unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/.../net/tulip/tulip.o

I can't get my networing card working in Linux From Scratch

When running depmod i get:

unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o

I know it works with Linux and I have the right driver. It's the same driver as Mandrake, and the mandrake one works. What can I do to make it work??

I don't have the brand or name of the NIC

can anyone help me?

James

1) i would go download the 2.4.21 kernel over at kernel.org - has some updates and fixes some bugs/security holes. don't worry, it won't fubar your LFS ;-)

2) how did you go about creating the module? did you add it in during the kernel config (make menuconfig) or did you compile it afterwards?

I used menuconfig. 

Groan not another kernel compile, They take hours on my computer. Will i have to recompile X or anything else?

only thing you should have to recompile is any drivers (aka modules) that you didn't compile with the kernel. i.e. nvidia drivers. i know it takes long :-( but 2.4.21 is more secure and is an overall improvement from 2.4.20.

Would that mean my X graphic drivers, i'm using the defaults.My card is a ATI 3D Rage Pro. I don't do anything graphic wise except occasional use of the GIMP. Is there a way to compile these and not compile the whole X system again?

Yay, i've got the newer kernel 2.4.21 and i've got internet working. I needed a line in my a bit of research told me i needed a line in my /etc/modules.conf i cheated and peeked at my mandrake and found the required line

alias eth0 tulip

Anyway now i'm browsing mandrake users in links(console) in an xterm in fluxbox on my LFS.

There are other modules i need lines for like FAT FS support. i'll look into them sometime soon. I don't need them now.

Thanks all

James

rcxau: usually i built the filesystem supports right into the kernel, so the modules don't have to be loaded.

with most of the options in menuconfig you can either built it into the kernel or build it as a module. personally, i put everything into the kernel accept: necessary modules for my cd-burner (scsi emulation, scsi support, scsi cdrom support, and a few others), module for my network card, module for my sound card....and that's pretty much it. the rest i build directly into the kernel since usually there would be no reason to unload that module.

if you need help with the kernel config, i've built a good few (in gentoo) and have a pretty good idea of how things work...