How to use Fluxbox compiled from source?

iphitus

I've compiled and installed fuxbox from source as thr RPM package was, er very slow starting programs.

I don't have a KDE or QT package in sight on my system and I use GDM as my Display manager. However i'll make a script in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/ and call it fluxbox and chmod it appropriately. When i next go into the ogin screen it's an option. Howver the second time it isn't an option. I'm sure i have to modify another file too but what?

BTW Fluxbox works fine - when i'm in it - and is very fast, faster than gnome.

James

...and is very fast, faster than gnome.
Of course it's faster than gnome, it's a window manager, not a desktop environment ;-)

as for your problem, does the file still exist in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions?

what did you name the file? i'm trying to remember the setup of GDM, I did this before myself.....trying to remember what I had to do. I think there's someplace other than /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions that the file needs to exist in. or just someplace where you put it other than that, and you don't make one in that dir...let me think...I'll get back to ya ;-)

I named the file fluxbox. I had it there, GDM obviously wanted to remove it. Maybe Someone install the RPM and post some files. I'm sure like you tyme tere's somewhere else, but where? I've got it working in my LFS but that's a VERY different situation, its in my .xinitrc that is run when i startx from a command line.

James

take a gander in /etc/X11/xdm/Sessions or something like that, there should be files like: 01KDE 02Gnome or something. then put in a 0xFluxbox and edit the file to look like the other files with the correct info (x being of course a number that is not already taken by some other file).

I think that's how i did it :-/

<flame-bait>

gdm/kdm is for wussies. real mandrakies use Xtart and create from scratch the entries in /etc/X11/wmsession.d/ (or a directory named like that) :twisted:

</flame-bait>

always startin $h!t aren't ya...... :roll: :lol:

<flame-bait-taker>

actually, creating from scratch the entries in /etc/X11/wmsession.d/ is for those that have either no life and therefore nothing better to do, don't know any better than to install everything by tarball on an rpm-based OS and use poorly built tarballs, or both of the above, or are a hardcore tweaker and make no bones about it :P

</flame-bait-taker> (didn't even see that....sheesh you're picky)

OK...back On-Topic. I had that prob a long time ago but that last few versions I did not with the mdk.src.rpm from the link on the home page. Where did you get the src.rpm?

If i'm a wuss coz i use gdm on mdk even though i have a lfs with Fluxbox well blow me down. Where can i go to find out about Xtart? 

I didn't use a source RPM i used a tarball.

you forgot to enclose your response in the appropriate tags so it invalid. :#:

on a more serious note, Xtart is included in the installation cds. just urpmi Xtart and you are done.

note to bvc, its not my fault that i like my wm to have one-key shortcuts. the mandrake src.rpm from fluxbox.org delegates it with the id 16.

ciao!

It turns out that gdm thinks fluxbox is not installed and chmods the script 644 so it's not executable anymore. I'll just make a script that runs at startup and chmods it 755. How can i make it run at startup, before gdm? do i make the script in init.d and then symlink it into the appropriate rc.d directories?

James