modem speed

Guest batmike

Guest batmike

I have an intenal USR/3COM hardware modem running on Mandrake 9.0. Whenever I connect to the internet I always get some speed between 26kbps and 34kbps. This seems really slow because on my WinME laptop i was getting speeds of 42-46kbps with the same ISP. Is there some setting i can adjust on my modem to make things go faster, or i am i stuck with slow speeds forever?

That's very strange. I've used 3 modems in win98/ML8.1 to 9.1 and never had the slightest bit of change in connect speed. How do you connect? Kppp? Wvdial? You can set it the these apps config file (wvdial) options (kppp). In general, settings can be added to /etc/ppp/options as well...SEE: man pppd in a terminal.

Another possiblity is that Windows may be lying to you. I find that Windows always reports my connection speed at 56000 ( which is impossible ), where any flavor of Linux will report it at 40000 - 46000.

Still, don't put much if any stock in the reported connection speed. What is important is the transfer rate. Mine runs anywhere from 2.5kbps to 5.0kbps (mostly it runs around 3-3.5kbps). And that is no better than a 28800 connection. Dial-ups really suck :( :evil: , but it all that is available here in the great wasteland of the upper Midwest.

dalee

I even had differences between different versions of winblows. Linux being different? I never found out. I was cursed with a winmodem.

try downloading a large file from somewhere in both OS and see what speed it levels out to. Is it the same? or different? Try to shutdown other things that use bandwidth before trying it. Because this is where it matters, not some connection speed that's been inflated by Winblows.

James

Sometimes a slower connection speed can increase transfer rate. If you have a slow transfer rate and connect at 52000 there's probably a lot of packets being sent back to have to be sent again. 56000 is next to impossible but not completely impossible. It also would break some law (I forgot which one), but in a perfect atmosphere, a lot of tweaking, and a naughty isp it is possible (just to mention it).

On linux I average a tranfer rate of 5.6 - 6.0. Win98 is 6.0 -6.3. But if I time it myself there's is very little diff. On win98 I use opera with suns j2re and I think a lot of the small speed diff is because opera on the win98 GUI is just snappier than the same opera and j2re on linux. When using a Modem_Test_Page keep in mind that sometimes java and your browser are a factor in the reading, which is why the same browser with a different java can produce different results. Not always the case I don't totally understand why but it's something to consider. The test sites usually mention that they use java but don't tell you why and if java is detected usually don't even mention it, because the test will run without java :roll: ....I don't get it :oops: ....but that is what I read a few times, but I don't have links to it, but one of them was a big site like dslreports or netscape or something.

Where's the setting or the equivalent to RcvWindow in linux? This is the biggest factor in windows and took a tranfer rate of 3 to 6 for me.

[EDITED] http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6221

I 've seen at the Old MUB where users claimed transfer rates of 10 - 14 on the same USR5686EXT ...so how? I've asked, but know one answered. Hmmmm probably full of it :P

Right now I use Epiphany and suns j2re 4.2 beta compiled with gcc3.2 and it is even faster than opera and mozillafirebird. Consistantly! Bookmarks suck though.

Guest batmike

well i've looked at the transfer rates for each OS. On my WinME laptop i can connect at 44000 and the transfer rate is about 5.0. On the desktop with Mandrake and Win2000, i can connect at most 36000 and i usually get a transfer rate of about 3.4. All this is with the same ISP, so i'm thinking Windows is showing the speed accurately and its the hardware modem's fault. Are there settings i can play with to improve the speed?