LFS: Where is /dev/eth0

Hi

I've been working on a LFS system. The system is up and running and i'm trying to get my internet connection working. My cable modem is connected to my computer via ethernet adn uses DHCP. I have no problems except the is no /dev/eth0 on my LFS. Where is it? How can i get it again?

can i copy the one off my Mandrake linux?

James

I mv'd it here as it is distro specific :wink:

Did you choose to use devfs?

Have you edited accordingly?

What did you do in the network section of the compilation? The scripts have to be added/edited, so what do you have? NOTE: I know nothing about eth/DHCP :wink:

I just neet my /dev/eth0

I followed the instructions in the LFS book exactly. I ran the MAKEDEV script and all.

If devfs is having all devices as files, yes. I do have devfs. It's just missing /dev/eth0 All my hdd partitions are there /dev/hda1,5,6,7, my sound card /dev/dsp/ everything i think except my /dev/eth0. My network card

I included support for ethernet cards in the kernel compile. Did i have to include a driver too?:oops:

Looks like i've got a kernel compile coming up.... Do i just follow the LFS instructions again? or do i have to do it differently?

James

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you tried to load the module of your network card? something like "insmod my_card_module"

Do you see the module of that card when you run lsmod?

Anyhow, (asking again as bvc did) are you using devfs? (I'm not asking if you have a /dev directory, but if the kernel runs devfs)

To me your problem is either that you don't have kernel support for your card or that you have forgotten to include an insmod/modprobe instance to load the card module in your init scripts.

I don't think i have a driver compiled for the kernel, i only included ethernet support but didn't select a driver, i had no idea what my card was, i do now though. I also need to recompile the kernel to remove the driver for my sound card so i can install alsa and i need to change something to make X run better when i install it. I know what to include for the network card now.

Anything else i should change? Do i compile these as modules? or into the kernel?

James

i suggest having them included as modules. some stuff you obviously have no choice on but generally everything you can include as a module you should. it allows for more flexibility (say if you should change your ethernet card or some other hardware).

as for better x support and if you have a nvidia card i suggest making the agpart support stuff modules and not building them in. this will allow you to add lines to your xconfig file that will "turn on" the nvidia agp stuff (which is supposed to be better).

as for better x support and if you have a nvidia card i suggest making the agpart support stuff modules and not building them in. this will allow you to add lines to your xconfig file that will "turn on" the nvidia agp stuff (which is supposed to be better).

I've got an old computer with an ATI 3D Rage Pro. I don't play any 3d games. I doubt i'll need to do this will i?

I need to recompile the kernel definately now, i reformatted my Mandrake partition which had the kernel on it. I reformatted it and installed 9.1 cleanly instead of upgrading from 9.0 like i did last time,

James

Just as another comment on modules: Many times, software will load the modules and make special configuration changes (bttv cards, for example) - if it's compiled into the kernal, the software can't make these required changes.

New kernel with Network card drivers, last time i had an incorrect one compiled into the kernel, now i got the correct one compiled as module. Also got sound working with alsa!! YAY, i can listen to MP3s now. Anyway it's my configuration that stops the internet working so i'll work on that. I'm installing X next Monday.... any advice?? I made neccesary changes in the kernel for X.

Has anyone here successsfully set up a cable connection under LFS??

Did you have to do anything different?? Did you use DHCP??

James