CD ROM issues

Guest ions

Guest ions

:( CD ROM Died but Linux won't let me bury it!

I have 2 cd roms on my machine. One is a cd-rw drive and the other is a 24x cd rom drive. The second one died on me. Makes bad noises and isn't reading any data. So I opened up the case and took it out. My Mandrake 9.1 install won't get rid of it. The icon for it is still on my desktop, it still wants to use this drive to install new software, and it still shows up in /mnt. How do I get rid of it and use the writer as my primary cd rom?

I know I'm not supposed to use a burner as a primary drive but I rarely use the cd roms at all.

I posted this issue over at JustLinux.com at this link: http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread....15&pagenumber=1

And so far have not been able to find a solution.

If you follow through the post you will see that I have made sure that the CD rom now remaining in the machine is set to be master and has the correct ide ribbon cable to it. It will now work for accessing data but it will not work as a cd writer under K3b. K3b will not detect the drive as a writer. Linux also still displays 2 cd roms being connected to this system.

Help please?

hope we can help. can you post the contents of your /etc/fstab file. and also /etc/mtab ? that would help tremendously.

and dont feel bad, all i have is an RW drive. no floppy, no reader...just RW.

Guest ions

Do you mean by typing cat /etc/fstab at the console?

This is what that displays:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,rw,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

# none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /mnt/win_d ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Keep in mind I'm an absolute Linux newb and not familiar with using the console at all. :oops:

First: over at the other forum you asked if this meant that your edit failed:

[christopher@x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-f6 christopher]$ Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

Nope. It's just some crazy error thing that happens every once in a while with kde apps. Not sure exactly what it is.

now for the problem at hand. Open a console and su to root like they showed you how to do over there. And type this:

ls -l /dev/hdc

and copy the output to here. Also

ls -l /dev/scd0

(Those are lower case L's and not upper case i's)

Also this:

cdrecord -scanbus

Guest ions

[root@x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-f6 root]# ls -l /dev/hdc

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           30 Jul  2 12:34 /dev/hdc -> ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

ls -l /dev/scd0

This produced "no such file or directory"

cdrecord -scanbus

[root@x1-6-00-80-c8-dd-4c-f6 root]# cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling

cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.

cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Ok. Open up a console and su to root again and type:

drakboot

and hit enter. Click 'Configure' then click 'Ok' Highlight whichever entry you boot to and click 'Modify'. In the 'Append' line somewhere (beginning or end doesn't matter) add

hdc=ide-scsi

Then reboot and do

cdrecord -scanbus

If you see something there, you should have your burner back.

here's what probably happened:

your burner was the second cd, the other one was the first. mandrake set the first one to be /dev/hdc and the second one became /dev/scd0 because it was setup for scsi emulation. so, /dev/scd0 doesn't exist anymore because mandrake now sees what was your second cdrom (the burner) as being your first cdrom, therefore /dev/hdc is now your burner and /dev/scd0 doesn't exist anymore.

what needs to be done is you need to setup mandrake to make /dev/hdc scsi emulated instead of /dev/hdd which is what it used to be. i'm not sure where mandrake sets this, i would check lilo.conf for a link containing scsi-ide and /dev/hdd or something to that affect. hope someone else can give you better directions, i'm at work and not in front of a linux box, so this is from memory :?

drakboot

and hit enter. Click 'Configure' then click 'Ok' Highlight whichever entry you boot to and click 'Modify'. In the 'Append' line somewhere (beginning or end doesn't matter) add  

hdc=ide-scsi

Then reboot and do

cdrecord -scanbus

If you see something there, you should have your burner back.

that's what i as trying to get at ;-) and if there is an hdd=ide-scsi in append you want to get rid of it.

hey steve, we seem to be fighting each other to get the answer right first ;-)

you-12:47

me -12:48

me -12:50

you-12:51

lol...hope somehow we made enough sense that you got the answer you needed ions! ;-)

Guest ions

drakboot

hdc=ide-scsi

I got to the point where I have the Boot Style Configuration window open, I click the Configure button and I am presented with another window called bootloader main options. I'm guessing I boot to dev/hda so I select that from the Boot Device drop down menu but I'm given no Modify button to press in these windows.

Whatever you boot to should already be correct in that window, so leave it like it was (if you boot successfully normally, that is) After you click 'Ok' in that window, then a new window will pop up where you highlight the entry you boot to for linux normally and then click 'Modify' and that is where you'll see your 'Append' line.

Guest ions

So far so good. I opened K3b and looked under setting and lo and behold my burner was listed. :) I haven't used it yet as a burner or tested it at all but since it's now listed I can only assume that it'll work! :)

Thanks heaps!! I'm now feeling a lot better about Linux! I'm one more little step up that learning curve. :)