Software Installation methods

Guest sub_netter

Guest sub_netter

Hello all. New to Mandrake. Just recently downloaded the 3 9.1 install cds and let her rip. Mandy looks very nice and I have been able to get it working quite nicely. My limited linux experience has been for the most part involved in the Debian distro. So I am unfamiliar with the whole RPM package managment routine. Now, I havnt had any probs installing apps using the "Mandrake Control Center", but I have been seeing lots of referance to people pointing their source files to non-official sites and using a utility called "urpmi". Now, from what I gather, it works sort of like apt-get in that it is able to read header files and then continue to resolve and install dependancies. Can anyone advise me on this subject? How to use urpmi, where to point my sources file etc...

You might like this, it's something i wrote the other day

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6090

All about getting RPMs for that program you want, has a lot of links to useful sites and has some quick and easy information on how to setup urpmi. I just added a way with a GUI tool you might like.

good luck with mandrake

James

Just wanted to add that personally I prefer urpmi to using the Control Center. I find the MCC to be slow, buggy and a general pain. I try to do as much from terminal (Konsole) as possible! Good luck!

Guest Creopan
Welcome to the board.

This will tell you pretty much all you need to know about urpmi ( its used from the command line)

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jwrobinson/docs...cs/urpmi-howto/

This will give you a list of sources you can add.http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

What if one would like to install a beta version of software currently installed? For instance, Mozilla 1.3 is currently installed, but I would like to install version 1.4rc3. However, I'm having trouble interpreting the instructions in the 'Readme' file located within the 'moz*.tar.gz" file.

Specifically, step 4:

4. Change to the mozilla-installer directory

(cd mozilla-installer) and run the installer with the

./mozilla-installer command.

After what file do I place the './mozilla-installer' command? There is 'installer' which is a plain text file, and 'mozilla-installer' which is a shell script file, and finally there is 'mozilla-installer-bin' which is a executable file.

Now, should I remove the 1.3 version first? It seems that would be unwise for a linux-noob to attempt.

Also, I'm trying to install a binary news reader (BNR2) and it says that I need to be 'root'. Is this referring to privledges, or the directory structure?

TIA

"root" is the user that is your administrator. When you installed, you were asked to enter an administrative password. That would be the "root" user. You should have also set up a regular user account as yourself. Root is the system god that can do anything, including render your system useless. When installing, root is the one who has system wide rights to put everything where it belongs. So, it is referring to privileges.

Mozilla used to enable their betas to be installed locally, rather than system wide. I would just instll it into my /home/user directory. Then you can launch the stable version system wide, and use the experimental version locally.

Guest Creopan
"root" is the user that is your administrator.  So, it is referring to privileges.

I would just instll it into my /home/user directory. Then you can launch the stable version system wide, and use the experimental version locally.

Thanks, this makes good sense. I'll install at the /home/usr level as you suggest.

Guest BooYah
I'm having trouble interpreting the instructions in the 'Readme' file located within the 'moz*.tar.gz" file.

When you untar the file it will create a the directory mozilla-installer.

For example. I downloaded the file to my `/downloads/ directory, then switch to a terminal and move it to /usr/local/tmp. I untar the file there which creates the directory /usr/local/temp/mozilla-installer/. Then you can enter that directory and run the installer script. Afterwards you can remove /usr/local/tmp/mozilla-installer/

I was putting the betas in /usr/local/MozillaBeta/. I also had the stable one installed. To call the stable one was just

mozilla

to call the beta I had to

/usr/local/MozillaBeta/mozilla

Then I'd add MozillaBeta link on my desktop to make things easier.

By thw way, you might be interested in Mozilla-Firebird. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/